2004 4.7 H.O. Top End Tick / Knock - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-28-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
harkinsc
2004 WJ 

2004 4.7 H.O. Top End Tick / Knock

I know this topic has been beaten to death and I have searched the forum and read up on common problems.

Symptoms:
Ticking/knocking at all temperatures directly proportional to engine speed. Started happening about 300 miles ago. Engine runs smooth. However I did experience a misfire / stutter in park while I was gently free reving the engine to listen to the tick. Haven't experience that again.

Pictures:
The scoring is on #5 intake. I can't feel it with my finger nail.

So my question is this. How bad is that scoring and what should I do about it? Should I go ahead a replace all the lash adjusters and hope for the best?

-Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

I have the excact same issue going on,
I have a thread with video of the sound, pls listen to it and compare,,,
Is it the same as yours?

I have changed lash adjusters with no luck,
You might want to inspect all rocker arms,

When i changed lifters and inspected rockers and cam, i found 2-3 of my cam lobes had a small play and was not solid on the camshaft,,,
So now i am Waiting for a new cam, will replace that and see how it goes from there.

Take a look at my thread, lots of info there.

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 HO Quadradrive
95 ZJ Limited 5.2 Winter Project
Sold 94 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Winter Beater
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
post #3 of 21 Old 02-28-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
harkinsc
2004 WJ 

HAHA, I have been reading the many pages of your thread all day! Yes, it was making a very similar noise as yours was.

post #4 of 21 Old 02-28-2014, 05:01 PM
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Ok thx, then we most likely have a similiuar issue, or the excact same, your describtion sound very familiar to me.

My next moved after cam, if this not solves it, will be,,,
Compression test to determine valve and valveseal operation.
Pull oil pan and check conecting rod bearings.

R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
post #5 of 21 Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
harkinsc
2004 WJ 

I got around to replacing all the hydraulic lifters / lash adjusters on the left bank last night. It was raining and I had recently washed my car, so no test drive . But I did let it idle up to temperature. The engine does seem to run much quieter now. I'll report back again after I'm able to drive around some and get the oil temps up.

Other thoughts... I replaced the valve cover gasket with a Victor Reinz from RockAuto. Is it just me or are those things a huge PITA to fit into the valve cover? No joke, I probably spent an hour getting the gasket properly seated/pressed in the cover. No leaks thus far

-Chris
post #6 of 21 Old 03-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Been thrue FSM and Hayness and all threads on cam replacement i could find, quite confident i got it right, and how to go about the sproket marking and timing chain wedge.

Its still kinda nerv wrecking for a first timer to mess with critical internal engine parts,,,
But soon i will find some availeble time, hopefully a full day at the shop, man up, and Get it done

Buildthread

post #7 of 21 Old 04-11-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
harkinsc
2004 WJ 

I'm still convinced that my motor is not healthy and is a ticking time bomb. 86,xxx on the odometer. I finally got around to doing a compression test today. Results were not terrible:

#1: 155 psi
#2: 170
#3: 170
#4: 165
#5: 170
#6: 170
#7: 170
#8: 165

#1 one seemed a little low to me. Anything to worry about here? The spark plugs all looked fine. The knock I'm hearing is definitely coming from the bottom end. It is present between idle and 1500 rpm. Cold or warm motor doesn't seem to matter. It sounds like it could be a rod bearing. The oil is free of contaminants. Anybody have thoughts on this?
post #8 of 21 Old 04-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkinsc
I'm still convinced that my motor is not healthy and is a ticking time bomb. 86,xxx on the odometer. I finally got around to doing a compression test today. Results were not terrible: #1: 155 psi #2: 170 #3: 170 #4: 165 #5: 170 #6: 170 #7: 170 #8: 165 #1 one seemed a little low to me. Anything to worry about here? The spark plugs all looked fine. The knock I'm hearing is definitely coming from the bottom end. It is present between idle and 1500 rpm. Cold or warm motor doesn't seem to matter. It sounds like it could be a rod bearing. The oil is free of contaminants. Anybody have thoughts on this?
Only one Way to find out, Get down, Get tools flying, Get dirty,,,!
Pull bottom end, oil pan and check your conecting rod bearings, most likely if its from bottom.

Got anyone to listen around engine block with stetoscop to locate the noise?

Buildthread

post #9 of 21 Old 04-11-2014, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
harkinsc
2004 WJ 

Upon further inspection the spark plugs are NOT okay! The previous owner (or dealer) had the copper plugs in there ! Just picked up the correct platinum plugs from the parts store. Maybe this will help?!
post #10 of 21 Old 04-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

^^^Any damage or missing parts on those sparks?

Idk, about the compression, doesnt seems That far off for me, but i am no Expert.

Any opportunities to Get a borascope done?
Have you pulled valve covers and inspected top ends?

Buildthread

post #11 of 21 Old 04-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk
Have you pulled valve covers and inspected top ends?
^^^Yes you have, but did you inspect the rocker arms/rollers and camlobes?

Buildthread

post #12 of 21 Old 04-12-2014, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
harkinsc
2004 WJ 

I've only had the driver's side valve cover off. Replaced all the lash adjusters on that side. I did check the cam lobes and rocker arms. Everything felt and looked good to me. I took a video that pretty clearly illustrates the noise and where it is coming from. When the video goes dark the camera is directly under the oil pan. Just listen to the beautiful knocking...music to my ears! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxDv...ature=youtu.be
post #13 of 21 Old 04-12-2014, 10:41 PM
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkinsc View Post
I've only had the driver's side valve cover off. Replaced all the lash adjusters on that side. I did check the cam lobes and rocker arms. Everything felt and looked good to me. I took a video that pretty clearly illustrates the noise and where it is coming from. When the video goes dark the camera is directly under the oil pan. Just listen to the beautiful knocking...music to my ears! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxDv...ature=youtu.be
I wouldn't run that engine anymore until you figure out what that is. To me, it sounds like a connecting rod bearing. If it was a piston head/skirt issue you would have metal in the oil. Have you taken the oil pan off? That should be the first thing you do. I bet you will find something in there. You can at least look at the connecting rods, caps, bearings and the bottom of the piston the best you can. Turn the engine over while looking at all that as well. Maybe you will hear something click.

Good luck.

Is it broken?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
post #14 of 21 Old 04-13-2014, 12:59 AM
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

^^^What this guy said.

Buildthread

post #15 of 21 Old 04-17-2014, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
harkinsc
2004 WJ 

UPDATE!!! Great news, relatively speaking. I found some time tonight to do some more diagnosis on the WJ. After getting the transmission/engine cover plate off I was able to inspect the flexplate. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

2 out of the 4 flexplate-torque converter bolts were backed out. The grade markings on the heads on the bolts were worn flat from contact with the back of the engine block. The shearing forces between the bolts and the flexplate destroyed the threads of the bolts and routed out the bolt holes in the flexplate. Looks like the transmission will be coming out so I can install a new flexplate and bolts!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.