2004 4.0 I6 Jeep Grand Cherokee Camshaft, Timing Set, and Lifter Replacement - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2004 4.0 I6 Jeep Grand Cherokee Camshaft, Timing Set, and Lifter Replacement

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #31
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Glad you saved it. I cant wait to get my new solid lifter Lunati custom grind and full cnc ported 2" valved head back from 505 it should run much stronger than my last combo. Wish I didnt have to re machine the entire short block again though :-(

===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #32
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Raising a dead thread, thank you thank you thank you, I know I own an 04 LJ, but this walk through is just what I needed. I started with a mis fire in cylinders 1 and 6, now I have no compression in those cylinders after checking and replacing almost everything else. So this weekend I will start going through the engine and this walk through made it a lot easier to see what needs to be done to get to the bottom of my issue! Thanks again!

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
Mboelts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #33
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Always glad to help! Good luck!

Edit: I just noticed you are a Chiver.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #34
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Yep and I will really need to remember to KCCO on this "project"!! LOL

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
Mboelts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #35
Jeepeiro_fl_usa
2000 WJ 

Hi Chris nice write up so yesterday i found some pieces of rings and 2 parts of the piston on the oil pan after removed,engine was knocking like a diesel.I bought the 2000 about 2 months or so i they replaced the cylinder head 0331 the famous for cracking but is not cracked yet and i don`t know the best way is fix the engine or just get a used from another year like 96/98 and make the coil pack hardware...any help will be great,thank you.
Jeepeiro_fl_usa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #36
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'd suggest seeing if it can be rebuilt (if you have the time for the WJ to be down). If not, look for a reman or crate engine specifically for the WJ. You will have less issues if you get the appropriate engine.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 01-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #37
Ripper600
2003 WJ 

coolant Fun

Hey Chris, Chris here

wondering if you had used your old radiator hoses. I did and i am leaking coolant like a SOB. wondering if you ran into this too...im convincing myself its just the hoses having a werid runoff pattern (like off the AC compressor and dripping there)
Ripper600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #38
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I did reuse my old hoses. I, too, had a leak develop shortly afterwards. I *thought* it was the water pump going out. I bought a new pump, thermostat, and fluid and went after it. Partially into the process, I realized the leak was actually coming from the tube attached to the water pump:

It wasn't tight enough. Since I was already into the project and already had everything I needed, I went ahead with replacing everything.

Moral of the story, check that tube.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #39
Ripper600
2003 WJ 

thanks for the input

Mine seems to leak more when its cold in the morning and going short distances, Im thinking ill just replace the radiator hoses. I already replaced the water pump and thermostat with my build too....Im starting to wonder if i didnt break-in the head gasket well enough, Im getting it out on the high way tomorrow maybe the high rpm travel will help, all Iv done is short commutes around town.
img_0521.jpg  
Ripper600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.0 , head gasket , lifter , radiator , timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.