2003 WJ Coolant leak around the upper radiator hose. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2003 WJ Coolant leak around the upper radiator hose.

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 06-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Billyray
2003 WJ 

2003 WJ Coolant leak around the upper radiator hose.

Ok I've replaced the radiator and water pump and thermostat and I have a leak around the upper radiator hose. I have put two clamps on it and it still leaks somehow. It feels like there is alot of preasure in the line and im not sure if this is normal? It keeps taking fluid from the overflow and I keep having to add fluid about half a gallon a week. Any help would be great....

Billyray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Is the thermostat in backwards?
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
specia1k
2004 WJ 

Assuming your talking about the upper radiator hose that comes from the thermostat housing to the molded plastic of the raditator, look closely at the top that piece of molded plastic just past the little notch that tells you where to stop the radiator hose. Run your engine, get it hot and look to see if you have a small hair line crack?

I thought I had a hose issue and a mechanic took a look and showed me immediately the small hair line crack. This was just last Saturday on our '02 WJ. Apparently the cracking is common on these radiators. The strategic fix is to replace the radiator. Tactically based on feedback on this forum, was to buy JD Weld and cover the crack to seal it.

Sunday I bought the original JD Weld that handles 500 degree temps, and mixed it up dropped it over the crack, essentially making a pancake shape that cover all the crack and then some. Cured in 24 hrs and is hard as steel. Some on this forum have done this and they say it has lasted 2-3 yrs, others said it started leaking in a couple weeks.

I'm too early into the process to give you feedback, but for $6, it's worth a try. Remember to clean the area with acetone (finger nail polish remover) or alcohol and let dry, prior to the pancake.
"Three daughters, three Jeeps"
specia1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
b1ackplague
2000 WJ 

Wj

I didn't want to make my own thread and don't want to hi-jack the OP's but I think I have a very similar problem. The leak is somewhere on the driver side of the radiator near (what I think) is the upper radiator hose.

Coolant splashed onto where the air filter goes.

b1ackplague is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

It's not uncommon for the hose clamps to split the hose right under the clamp. I've had a few Jeep mystery leaks from splits in the hoses I couldn't see until I removed it. The hoses are so darn cheap, just replace them and move on. I've always felt like mine was carrying too much pressure in the system, but if it really were too much pressure I'd have had a problem. It's been 2 years with no symptoms other than a very firm upper radiator hose.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.