2003 WJ 2.7 Crd Injectors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2003 WJ 2.7 Crd Injectors

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
rwheatley

Wj 2003 WJ 2.7 Crd Injectors

Hi All
First post so please be gentle
My other half has a 2003 2.7 Crd Wj grand cherokee and whilst doing the service I notice that number 4 injector is leaking, it must have just started as there is no black death yet but im concerned tabout the clearance to remove/refit the injector, can it be done with the engine in place or does it have to be dropped down?

Another question, do the Diesel WJ's have an electric fuel pump in the fuel tank? I have never heard it going (or priming when turning the ignition on) and after changing the fuel filter I have to crank for ages to get the fuel through. Tried undoing the bleed screw but NOTHING would come out.
Thanks for any help.
Rob

rwheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheatley View Post
Hi All
First post so please be gentle
My other half has a 2003 2.7 Crd Wj grand cherokee and whilst doing the service I notice that number 4 injector is leaking, it must have just started as there is no black death yet but im concerned tabout the clearance to remove/refit the injector, can it be done with the engine in place or does it have to be dropped down?

Another question, do the Diesel WJ's have an electric fuel pump in the fuel tank? I have never heard it going (or priming when turning the ignition on) and after changing the fuel filter I have to crank for ages to get the fuel through. Tried undoing the bleed screw but NOTHING would come out.
Thanks for any help.
Rob
Number four can be removed in situ. Get it done asap or it will go like concrete and be difficult or impossible to remove. Have seen one that was so stuck, the head had to be removed so it could be pushed out from the inside! Even number five can be done without lowering the motor if you go down through the panel above then re weld or make a removeable cover for any future use.

DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE TO BLEED THE FUEL THROUGH. I did, only for about five minutes and I had to replace the high pressure pump that I damaged. The hard way to learn. The diesel passing through them is the only lube they get so running them dry is very bad news! Use the bleed valve, its not the screw in the filter , its under the engine cover on top of the motor. There is no pump in the tank. In fact there are no electric pumps at all. The low pressure pump (top front of engine) pulls the fuel all the way from the tank and the high pressure pump (three lobed casting below low pressure pump) pressurises the fuel rail.
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Mike2909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hi, Have you actually gone through the bulkhead to change no.5 injector?
My CDR is going in Thursday to have no. 5 repaired and the mechanic says it is only a 4 hour job dropping the engine and gearbox.
Mike2909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

It's a 10 minute job to cut an 80mm whole in the wiper scuttle (not a bulk head). Big saving in labour cost. I have helped do it on a CRD...... but not my car. Hell, mine has only got 100,000 miles on the clock so it better not be needing injectors any time soon!
Unread 12-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Another thing.... is the injector def leaking? It's a common error to think that number 4 is leaking when its just spilt engine oil from the near by oil filler cap!
Unread 12-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Hmmm, this shows how the german engine does not fit in a Jeep, lol
Are there any V8 GC in UK at all?
I see you all UK guys have the CRD...
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Mike2909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Most of the v8s here have lpg installed in them . Liquified petroleum gas. The price of fuel here in the UK would make you guys weep . The crd returns double the mpg .
Unread 12-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Mike2909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Hmmm, this shows how the german engine does not fit in a Jeep, lol
Are there any V8 GC in UK at all?
I see you all UK guys have the CRD...
The merc engine fits but like putting a size 12 foot in a size 10 shoe .
Unread 12-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Mike2909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

At present it is $8.35 per gallon in the UK.
Unread 12-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2909
The price of fuel here in the UK would make you guys weep .
^^^Yeah, right, 8$ only,
FYI we Are pushing 10$ a gallon here in Norway,
I am nothing close to either pee myself or consider a C R D.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Unread 12-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #11
MadderThanMax

^^ "Liar Liar Pants On Fire!!"

What was it you asked me to look for for your girlfriend? CRD was that I think, either that or it was the wrong jeep I was looking at
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #12
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderThanMax
^^ "Liar Liar Pants On Fire!!"

What was it you asked me to look for for your girlfriend? CRD was that I think, either that or it was the wrong jeep I was looking at
Exactly, not for me, girlfriend.

Unread 12-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #13
MadderThanMax

^
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #14
Robertc2012
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
It's a 10 minute job to cut an 80mm whole in the wiper scuttle (not a bulk head). Big saving in labour cost. I have helped do it on a CRD...... but not my car. Hell, mine has only got 100,000 miles on the clock so it better not be needing injectors any time soon!
I agree

No offence - it is actually the wiper scupper, the hole will be a scuttle.

You need to get someone who has a sheet metal knock out punch set to cut the hole. Then make a cover plate after the job is done.

Rob
Robertc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
Mike2909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertc2012 View Post
I agree

No offence - it is actually the wiper scupper, the hole will be a scuttle.

You need to get someone who has a sheet metal knock out punch set to cut the hole. Then make a cover plate after the job is done.

Rob
Have you actually used this fix? I was going to suggest this tomorrow when my Jeep goes in but can not find anything online to show the mechanic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.