2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee overheating - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee overheating

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEngo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 Lum

Unread 01-31-2011, 11:32 PM   #16
garthfan0523
2003 WJ 

My relay failed on me almost immediately after I bought my WJ back in December '07. After reading and reading and reading all the hundreds of posts in a dozen online forums about the stupid faulty relay and poorly-designed connector and hard-to-access location, I decided not to even fuss with it.

I wired the fan directly to the battery with a toggle in-cab. Problem solved. Very, very rarely ever need to activate the fan during the winter, seldom need to during the cooler spring and fall months unless I'm sitting in traffic. During the summer, I just check the temp gauge every now and then and activate the fan as needed. When driving, the ambient airflow through the grill is more than sufficient to cool the fluid in the radiator so I really only activate the fan when I'm sitting in traffic or driving slowly through city streets.

Been running it that way for two years, now, with absolutely no ill effects whatsoever to the fan, the wiring or the toggle. Just be sure to get appropriate-gauge wiring and toggle to handle the current loads.

garthfan0523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #17
skitch3000
2002 WJ 

had this problem a couple months ago. fan would work when directly connected and thermostat seemed to be find. replaced the relay and haven't had any problems since
skitch3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #18
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Definately consider your temp relays but also ensure the you "bleed" you cooling system by eliminating any air that may be trapped....this is common...and can produce the symptoms you described.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #19
Big-Z
2004 WJ 

I and two guys from a shop concluded after looking in and out for the relay behind the headlight, and it does not exist. (its a 2004 electric cooling system GC) My fan wont come on at all. I cut the wires (two blue and one black) and I hooked it directly to the battery. the fan would not turn on. I hooked the blue to the + and the black to the - and the fan still did not come on. could that mean its a bad fan? did I hook the wires to the battery right?

thanks
Big-Z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #20
jgc86

The relay is located under the passenger headlight. The easiest way to get to it is to take a hole saw for a drill and cut throught the plastic under the headlight. I loooked it up online to make sure i didnt screw it up.
, hopefully that link works. Also here is the image attached just to make sure you get it.
0dd5d75.jpg  
jgc86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #21
tastefulclient

2003 Jeep Grand Charokee

my car overheats when idling, i changed the thermosat, changed the senor and it's still overheating when im sitting at the light. please help. the fan does come on so im at my wits end..Please help.
tastefulclient is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #22
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Z
I and two guys from a shop concluded after looking in and out for the relay behind the headlight, and it does not exist. (its a 2004 electric cooling system GC) My fan wont come on at all. I cut the wires (two blue and one black) and I hooked it directly to the battery. the fan would not turn on. I hooked the blue to the + and the black to the - and the fan still did not come on. could that mean its a bad fan? did I hook the wires to the battery right?

thanks
I was reading the 04 is different to 99-03

For 2004 only
Fan is two speed. So will have 3 wires.

There is two fan relays both located in main distribution unit beside battery.

99-03
Single speed fan 2 wires
Fan relay under headlight.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #23
tastefulclient

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
Definately consider your temp relays but also ensure the you "bleed" you cooling system by eliminating any air that may be trapped....this is common...and can produce the symptoms you described.

what do you mean by "bleed"...like drain the radiator??
tastefulclient is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #24
jeepsmsc

Wanted to share my experience. Have a 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L I6. 100k miles. Engine was overheating at idle when a/c was turned on. Took it to Jeep dealer. They diagnosed fan relay. They replaced fan relay for $225. I then left dealership and within minutes experienced same overheating problem when a/c turned on and vehicle at idle. Took it back to dealer. Dealer diagnoses fan / motor. Puts in new fan motor assembly for $320. Total out the door cost for both fan relay and motor is $545. Not sure if the fan relay was really the problem in the first place or if both the relay and motor were bad. Any thoughts? Did dealer charge a fair price? Also, this fan relay/motor overheat issue seems to be a recurrent problem for a lot of Jeep owners. Is there a class action on this fan relay / fan motor issue? Seems like a flawed Chrysler design.
jeepsmsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
purplecty
2003 WJ 

Imho u paid way 2 much... And it will happen again when warranty expires... Ask me how I kno...
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #26
jeepsmsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
Imho u paid way 2 much... And it will happen again when warranty expires... Ask me how I kno...
Thanks for the candid feedback on the overpay. I'm not a mechanic so doing the repair myself wasn't really an option. What's a fair market price for the repair? How frequently do the relays and fans go out on your model? This is the 2nd relay I've had put in. Last relay was at 55k.
jeepsmsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #27
purplecty
2003 WJ 

Dont take it the wrong way sorry my first few times I had my family mechanic replace with oem relays but only would warranty it for 1yr... Every 2 years theyde go out... Finally I found jeepforum ad learned instead of taking off bumper and grille u can take out passenger side headlight cut.a hole in bumper and there will b the fan relay. I opted to do myself since I knew it would happen again... Bought relay from autozone for like 55 with lifetime warranty and when they blow I get free replacement... neways dealers always charge 2 much find a independent shop u can trust... This is a job u can do easily. I am no mechanic by any means myself... This is probably at least. my 5th relay... Do some research on forum. Good luck 2 u... Its a design flaw
Unread 09-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #28
vluis

hey guys I think this is my first post, I want to say thank you to all of yall, every issue I've had with my Jeep Cherokee over the past few years I've managed to fix on my own with all yalls help. and I am now part of the cool kids check this out
relay2.jpg  
vluis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.