2002 WJ worn transfer case...HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2002 WJ worn transfer case...HELP

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
914pete
2002 WJ 

Wj 2002 WJ worn transfer case...HELP

So, I was just informed by my local Jeep dealer that my 2002 4.0 Grand Cherokee Laredo needs a new transfer case and front drive shaft which will only cost me around $3700. WTF? That's more then the car is worth. Its got 210,000 miles. Any suggestions? I've been driving it in 2WD only for the last 1.5 years because of the worn transfer case but now am getting pretty bad vibration and noise from the front end at highway speeds. They tell me this is due to the worn front drive shaft.

If I'm not using 4WD, do I even need the front drive shaft? Can I just take it off and still drive the car?
Can the transfer case be rebuilt?

914pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914pete
So, I was just informed by my local Jeep dealer that my 2002 4.0 Grand Cherokee Laredo needs a new transfer case and front drive shaft which will only cost me around $3700. WTF? That's more then the car is worth. Its got 210,000 miles. Any suggestions? I've been driving it in 2WD only for the last 1.5 years because of the worn transfer case but now am getting pretty bad vibration and noise from the front end at highway speeds. They tell me this is due to the worn front drive shaft.

If I'm not using 4WD, do I even need the front drive shaft? Can I just take it off and still drive the car?
Can the transfer case be rebuilt?
You can either remove the front DS and run it that way for a while or you could have them rebuilt.

What I would probably recommend is find yourself some good used parts from a wreck and just swap them out. It's not that complicated.
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
914pete
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat View Post
You can either remove the front DS and run it that way for a while or you could have them rebuilt.

What I would probably recommend is find yourself some good used parts from a wreck and just swap them out. It's not that complicated.
I was just looking on Ebay. I can get a used TC for $200-300. My worry is how long will it last.

I'm very mechanically inclined however, I've never had to work on the drive train and I don't have a lift. Can I replace the TC and DS with the car on jack stands?
Unread 09-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:

I was just looking on Ebay. I can get a used TC for $200-300. My worry is how long will it last.

I'm very mechanically inclined however, I've never had to work on the drive train and I don't have a lift. Can I replace the TC and DS with the car on jack stands?
I don't think TC issues are real common in Jeeps, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just look for one that's well maintained. Wreck or salvage yard because that one is more likely to be in good working order (versus one that was neglected). I know that I've seen Jeep's out there that were really shot and not a sign of body damage.. I'd try to stay away from those if you can because the reason they're there is because someone neglected it and it needs major repairs.

I have seen write ups here where people do them in their driveway with jack stands. There will be the DS's that you need to pull first, along with dropping the TC and various linkage, but I think it's fairly straightforward. The biggest pain will be lifting the new one into place as they can be rather awkward.. I'd definitely do that with a Jack and make sure that you have the Jeep up as high as possible to ensure you can get it out from under the Jeep when you drop it down. Get the DS from that same vehicle if you can. I have a 02 with the 242 TC and 136K on the odometer and my DS would've still been fine if I hadn't lifted it (Shh... don't tell my wife about that last piece) :-)
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
914pete
2002 WJ 

Quote:
I don't think TC issues are real common in Jeeps, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just look for one that's well maintained. Wreck or salvage yard because that one is more likely to be in good working order (versus one that was neglected). I know that I've seen Jeep's out there that were really shot and not a sign of body damage.. I'd try to stay away from those if you can because the reason they're there is because someone neglected it and it needs major repairs.

I have seen write ups here where people do them in their driveway with jack stands. There will be the DS's that you need to pull first, along with dropping the TC and various linkage, but I think it's fairly straightforward. The biggest pain will be lifting the new one into place as they can be rather awkward.. I'd definitely do that with a Jack and make sure that you have the Jeep up as high as possible to ensure you can get it out from under the Jeep when you drop it down. Get the DS from that same vehicle if you can. I have a 02 with the 242 TC and 136K on the odometer and my DS would've still been fine if I hadn't lifted it (Shh... don't tell my wife about that last piece) :-)

How do I know which model TC I have? Is there a placard on it?
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

You have the 242(selec-trac) Look at your shifter bezel. There is a silver dollar sized piece of aluminum with various numbers stamped on it riveted to the TC itself , the model number is on top.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:

How do I know which model TC I have? Is there a placard on it?
yes, crawl up underneath it and there will be a label on the back of the case that has a model number.. it'll be NVXXX (where X's represent the model number).

However, if you have the:

Selec-Trac it should be the 242 (the selector will give options for 2WD, 4WD, PT 4WD, and 4Lo)
Quadra-Drive it should be the 247 (the selector will give options for PT 4WD, Full Time 4WD, and 4Lo)

Crawling up under it would tell you if it's a 242 (good) or a 242HD (better) if you've got the Selec-Trac it could be either.
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:

yes, crawl up underneath it and there will be a label on the back of the case that has a model number.. it'll be NVXXX (where X's represent the model number).

Selec-Trac it should be the 242 (the selector will give options for 2WD, 4WD, PT 4WD, and 4Lo)
Quadra-Drive it should be the 247 (the selector will give options for PT 4WD, Full Time 4WD, and 4Lo)

Crawling up under it would tell you if it's a 242 (good) or a 242HD (better) if you've got the Selec-Trac it could be either.
247 does not have PT. Odds are he has the 242ld unless previous owner did a swap. The HDs only came with the V8.
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat

You would've only had the HD case if you had a V8 and you don't.. I'm going to bet that it's the Selec-Trac and it's a 242.
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWJ

247 does not have PT. Odds are he has the 242ld unless previous owner did a swap. The HDs only came with the V8.
yep, what he said. :-)
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:

As as MUDDY said, Quadradrive II has 4-high, N, and 4-lo. That's it.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick

Yep, MUDDY's right.. I concede LOL. I don't have Quadradrive and was going off of memory.

You've likely got a normal 242, but you'll probably want to confirm with the tag on the case before you order one.
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
914pete
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post

I must have the 242 (2002 4.0 Selec-Trac) but I'll take a look under there to be sure as well as gauge the work involved in replacing it. Thanks!
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post

WJs don't have QD2 either that's the WK. We only have Quadra-Drive, Selec-trac and Quadra-trac 2. I think some early models actually came with Quadra-trac 1 but am not entirely sure. Super easy to RandR. A buddy definitely helps and you'll need two jacks. One to support trans and the other for the crossmember.
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
yzjwk
2005 WK 

I have the 4.0 with quadra-tracII / nv247 so it is a possible combination .

Will the vehicle move if the front DS is removed from a 247 ?
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.