2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition WJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Astrodokk
2000 WJ 

Location: Santa Rosa, CA 1 hour north of San Francisco in wine country.
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition WJ

Hi everyone.
Long time no see. I've had a '98 GC Limited for many years now and enjoy it very much with it's 5.2L V8. I just bought a '02 GC SE with the 4.7L non HO V8 and it's fantastic. It has 159,000 miles and I paid $5800.00 for it out the door. It's Charcoal on Charcoal. It's for my son's graduation from high school.
Anyway, the check engine light is on (OBD II) and my retired mechanic friend plugged a reader into it and no codes came up. How may I find out what the light indicates?
This baby has the QuadratracII and leather options as well as "other" GC Limited features but w/o the hassle of the climate control blend doors issue.
I read that cycling the key may just turn the light off but I'm curious about the code. Any help appreciated.

Unread 03-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

search "diagnostic trouble codes" on wjjeeps.com

$5800?? ouch!
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

search "diagnostic trouble codes" on wjjeeps.com

$5800?? ouch!
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Astrodokk
2000 WJ 

'02 gc se

OK thanks for that link. I'll check it out. BTW, I searched high and low for at least a year for the right Jeep to come along and for the right price. This one, with all it's features (just like a Limited) and the miles is blue book in excellent condition for close to 7K! Too rich for my blood. So this one was a steal at this price out the door. The original sticker that came with it shows it cost 35K new with all the buyer upgrades they ordered. I didn't feel an ouch although I do admit that seeing so many hundreds in cash transfer hands made me wince a little. But it's in such an excellent shape, except for that light, that I think the price was cheap.
If I may ask, what did you pay for your stock '01?
Unread 03-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
RobRiguez
2001 WJ 

I just picked up an 01 with 95k. Cloth interior, no hitch, basic radio, no sunroof, but power everything for $4500. Small quarter size ding on the fender and a surface scrape on the rear bumper. Otherwise almost perfect paint and zero rust.

Last edited by RobRiguez; 03-15-2010 at 12:53 PM..
RobRiguez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
ezflip

2002 WJ 

I just picked up my 02 laredo with the 4.7 non HO with 130,000 for $5900. It was cheaper than most of the 99 - 01's with the 4.7. Most of them around here were going for $8k. It all depends on the location. I still had to drive almost 100 miles to get that deal. Any closer to me just about every WJ with close to 100k miles was $8k or more.

Back to the original question. It could be something that has already been fixed by the PO and the light just hasnt cycled off yet. (I think they say it takes 50 starts to cycle off) or you could just disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes. That is guaranteed to turn the light off. Then just drive it for a few days and see if it comes back on.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
Astrodokk
2000 WJ 

I think I can try the battery disconnect for now. The PO said that the light comes on and off. By the way, I did the ignition switch key trick and got a code of P0456, which is the evaporator unit having a small leak...could be just the gas cap.
It's correct that location has something to do with pricing. I'm in N. California, and comparable Jeeps were in the 7K-10K range. This '02 is cherry with moonroof, leather, all the bells and whistles that the Limited has, although slightly high mileage. It even has the accelerator pedal adjustment! So I think I got a great deal. That's what's important. These things can go a long way if taken care of. The PO took real good care of it with all the records given to me. He bought it new and immediately had the oil changed to synthetic. This thing looks brand new.
Thanks for all the help.
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

You must know the market better than me.

I picked up an '01 Limited 104,000 miles with all the options for $1800, but it needed a new motor and a few small things. Its in great shape now though. Except for the poor quality paint job.
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
Astrodokk
2000 WJ 

Oh ok that makes sense now. I almost did that too. There was a very nice 2000 in Craigslist for about 2K, but they said the engine was blown. After finding out about replacement cost, it would have been an expensive vehicle, so I passed.
Yeah, the market here in Kalifornia sucks.
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Yea these motors are sooo expensive. I had to buy another totaled WJ with a good motor, so I could use the motor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.