2002 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 strange electrical problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2002 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 strange electrical problem

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 04-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
bmcoupe1

2002 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 strange electrical problem

hi guys, today I bought a jeep Cherokee 4.0 straight 6 lpg, but it has a really strange problem, it tries to cut out and sometimes does, this happens when its stationery or driving it, when it does cut out it sometimes takes a while to start, its an auto as well, when it happens when driving the lights on the dash go out well the cruise control and lpg lights like its been turned off but instantly the car comes back on but the functions have been reset and the management light flickers while its off there is also a clicking from the ignition switch area, I have checked the fault code and it comes up with a p1495 which I have read is leak detention pump solenoid but I read that it shouldn't have an affect on the car.

anyone have a clue thanks

bmcoupe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
bmcoupe1

also when it does it when im driving its like its spluttering if you put your foot down it eventually picks up
Unread 04-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

First thing you should do is make sure your battery,and terminals,and cables are clean of rust and corrosion,and tight.Also make sure your battery is good.It is a very common problem on Jeeps and causes all sorts of issues.Then diagnose each issue one at a time.Someone else can guide you on the code,good luck.
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 02:38 AM   #4
bmcoupe1

The battery looks quite new, but I will check it out, the earth straps though on the side of the engine look really dirty, where oil has leaked out of the rocker cover the engine is pretty much covered in oil could the earths cause this problem as its intermittent I wouldn't of thought it could,
Unread 04-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
bmcoupe1

so had a look tonight and noticed that when you rock the air box on top of the throttle body it causes wires to touch I think has even with the engine off you can hear clicking and another noise, the box isn't bolted down as it has lpg so on tip of the throttle body is like an injection cylinder which causes the box to be about 3 inch higher so has probably been catching wires rocking about, so now I took the filter out and the big pipe and now it seems to be ok, obviously there is some broken wires that need sorting but least I think I know where they are now.
Unread 04-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Glad to hear you have a starting point.When you sort through everything dont forget to update the thread.Good luck
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.