2002 instrument pannel lights died - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2002 instrument pannel lights died

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
rdog14

2002 instrument pannel lights died

After a lot of searching and reading related problems I need some help.

Some of the illumination lights in my instrument cluster burned out and I attempted to upgrade to LEDs. I went with direct replacements for the #103 lamps complete with built in resistors from superbrightleds.com. I believed them to be installed correctly. The first time I turned them on the cluster fuse, #17, under the dash blew. After replacing the fuse, the cluster works again, but not the backlights do not. Backlighting no longer works with the old incandescent lamps that had previously been working. Each of the LEDs work in test circuits. Pulling the cluster apart I found damaged parts on the circuit board. I think the MOSFET transistor that controls the backlight dimming is fried.

Has this happened to anyone else after changing to LEDs?

Does anyone have the technical diagram of the circuit board so I can reference it?

Has anyone attempted to replace this transistor before?

Is this a lost cause and I am stuck getting a replacement cluster?

Thanks for your help,

rdog14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdog14 View Post
After a lot of searching and reading related problems I need some help.

Some of the illumination lights in my instrument cluster burned out and I attempted to upgrade to LEDs. I went with direct replacements for the #103 lamps complete with built in resistors from superbrightleds.com. I believed them to be installed correctly. The first time I turned them on the cluster fuse, #17, under the dash blew. After replacing the fuse, the cluster works again, but not the backlights do not. Backlighting no longer works with the old incandescent lamps that had previously been working. Each of the LEDs work in test circuits. Pulling the cluster apart I found damaged parts on the circuit board. I think the MOSFET transistor that controls the backlight dimming is fried.

Has this happened to anyone else after changing to LEDs?

Does anyone have the technical diagram of the circuit board so I can reference it?

Has anyone attempted to replace this transistor before?

Is this a lost cause and I am stuck getting a replacement cluster?

Thanks for your help,
I have tried to replace some of my lamps to LED, but only to use up the blue LED's I had left over.
I was trying to find the red lights, to change to purple, but they must be buried inside. I was using the PC 74's.
Have never had the cluster apart. If you can find the transistor at Radio Shack, or an electronics store, you can try replacing it.
I did not have ny problems on my gauge cluster, except trying to find the lights I was looking for.
You could probably find a gauge cluster at a local junk yard or on ebay.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.