2002 Grand Cherokee WJ brake lights not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2002 Grand Cherokee WJ brake lights not working

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 09-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
CoolTwinJ
2002 WJ 

Wj 2002 Grand Cherokee WJ brake lights not working

I know there are threads covering brake lights already, but my problem is not covered in them. For a while, only the passenger side brake light was out, driver side assembly was fully functioning. I recently noticed, driver side is functioning except for the brake light, and passenger side nothing was working until I replaced the brake light switch. Now, the brake light on the liftgate works fine, but the brake lights in the taillights both don't work. The pass. sides running light works, but it turns off when the brake is applied. Here's a link to a video, so you guys can see what I'm talking about. Anybody have any insight? Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uk98ic5wih...918_171529.mp4

CoolTwinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
losttech

2000 WJ 

I am fairly new to jeeps but mine was having some weird brake light issues in the passenger side and it turns on replacing the whole brakelight fixed everything.
I think the circuit borad that the light sockets go into inside the tail light was faulty.
You can unplug the taillights and switch them just to see if the issue migrates with the light or stays that would tell you if its the light assembly or not at least.

If this is all just to newbish ignore me LOL I am not a mechanic.
losttech is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
WJ297
2000 WJ 

I would try to check the connections that are in the taillight that touch the light bulb. I had the same issue and found out that prying up the connections works, seems like they get pushed to far down over time. I ended up putting a piece of copper under the connections. Hope that helps.
WJ297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
RigoJeep

Check out this thread...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ssues-1395066/
RigoJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.