2002 Grand Cherokee Transmission Reverse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2002 Grand Cherokee Transmission Reverse

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
TestPoint

2002 Grand Cherokee Transmission Reverse

I have been invited to assist my grandson diagnose the transmission reverse issue with his newly purchased '02 (140k miles). The previous owner was having reverse problems to the point that he decided to sell an otherwise excellent car. He was the first owner and never had the ATF changed. He had the ATF changed as a result of the issue but that did nothing to affect the failing reverse. It worked fine when first driven, no slipping, acted normal. Shortly it began to fail to engage and now does not engage at all. It is not in reverse and just slipping.

He did buy at a price assuming replacing the trans so we are not real disappointed.

I am familiar with the ZF transmissions of that era and have full documentation on them. I know that the shift lever is a switch operating a solenoid on the bottom of the transmission under control of the Trans Control Module.

What is the probability of repair short of replacing the trans?

No CEL codes but understand that my reader will not read trans codes

Most likely problems in order?

Worth having a dealer read any trans codes?

Which solenoid engages Reverse?

Any links to trans documentation?

Thanks for your help!

TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Which engine do you have?
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
TestPoint

Sorry, 4.7L V8
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Have you tried going from park to reverse, and/or 1st to reverse? Just seeing if its a linkage problem. Also do you know if it was just a filter change or was it fluid and filter change?
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
narnwv

2000 WJ 

If it were a sensor, it would throw a "P0700-Generic Transmission code", in which a dealer would have to investigate.

Shift solenoid engages reverse.

I've gotta say that I've never ever seen anyone have trouble with the 545RFE transmission. In stating that, they're pretty cheap to replace, as there's TONS of them from wrecked vehicles (it was used in about 10 different vehicles), so they're everywhere.

After a bit of googling (again, never heard of a problem with this trans) I found this:http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dodge-Rep...ny-reverse.htm It applies to Rams, but it's the same transmission. Since you picked it up cheap, it may be worthwhile to have the dealer look at the software on the Transmission controller.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Also check the filters. A cracked filter could be your problem or a cracked valvebody. Drop the pan and look.
Unread 06-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
TestPoint

Spent an educational morning learning about non functional reverse.

Transmission codes read out as:

P0736 JEEP - Gear Ratio Error In Reverse Gear

Possible causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Shift solenoids
- Transmission mechanical problems
- Transmission hydraulic control circuit

P1715 PG Assembly Malfunction/SSB Inductive Signature Malfunction

Possible causes ???????

P1790 TP (Mechanical) Circuit Malfunction

Possible causes ???????

Discussion with a Jeep technician resulted in his advice to change the transmission filters . . . and use factory filters. He says that he has seen aftermarket filters come apart.

Since the reverse requires 250 psi pressure vs the 125 of the forward gears that a clogged filter may well be the problem. Suspect that the previous owner's efforts at ATF replacement was done with a 'flush' rather than a drain and replacement of filters.

Found used transmission for $500 with 63k miles. Reman valve body for about $300. Going to go for the filters first.

Additional comments appreciated.

Last edited by TestPoint; 06-04-2012 at 02:05 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.