2002 grand cherokee limited sunroof off tracks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2002 grand cherokee limited sunroof off tracks

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
Matty-Do

What's up guys! I just bought an 02' cherokee limited, but the sunroof does not open. I can hear the motor working, so Im assuming its just off the tracks. I've repaired a sunroof or two before, but those were on small cars that were old so breaking a clip or tearing a headliner slightly wasn't an issue. Basically im wondering if there is a thread or a link or something of that nature describing the process. My interior is mint so i don't want to blindly start taking parts off to get to it.

Also, any idea on how much this would cost to have a shop do it? I got the car for a great price($3400) because the dealer had no.mechanical knowledge AT ALL. in fact, he dropped a grand off the price because, according to him, none of the windows or door controls worked... I wiggled the PCM harness and viola! Working windows and controls! Lol.

I also got him to drop $500 off the price because of the sunroof(or is it a moonroof!? Lol) so if it will cost less than that $500 I will happily pay it.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me... And expect a lot more silly questions out of me soon, this is my first Jeep so im a little lost... Lol thanks again guys/girls!

~Matty-Do

Matty-Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
SuperStew11
2000 WJ 

I have a similar issue with mine, I can tilt open the sunroof but can't slide it open(I can here the motor running). I took a peek inside and mine looks like the track has been stripped

Now what I have read with the WJ tracks is if something like that happens the whole track is junk and needs to be replaced
SuperStew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Matty-Do

Well that stinks... I was hoping it would be something i could just pop back on once i had the headliner down. I think i read somewhere that the tracks are plastic, which would explain why they would have to be replaced. I guess i won't know till i take a serious look at it. My main concern with doing it myself is getting the seal perfect and the motor oriented properly... I guess im taking it to my mechanic.

Thanks for your reply, ill post the cost once i find out what it is. Thanks again!
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Here's some info.... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...broke-1369021/

and

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...blems-1196425/

It's gonna be expensive in labor but it's an easy remove/replace process. it just takes time to DIY. The replacement assembly sunroof rack is a kick in the gut enough. Don't pay the labor...

I have pics somewhere.... need them?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Matty-Do

If you could find those pics that would be awesome, the more info I have the less likely I screw it up... lol. If its one of those things where you have to sift through you "picture" folder for 2 hours looking for them then dont worry about it. I do appreciate it though
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Okie. Let me see what I come up with.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
aestrad1
2000 WJ 

I could use pics as well.
aestrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Okie. Let me see what I come up with.
DOUBLE-E
It's been in the back of my mind and this thread is a good time to ask what kind of lube would one use to lubricate the sunroof tracks?

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

I've used 2 types on 2 different cars. A light lithium grease and green axle bearing grease. You want something that clings well because that area gets hot in the sun and you do not want it to liquify.

You want it in a light color so you can see over time where it is and is not ...plus if/when it gets dirty from debris, how dirty it is and where to wipe off the old and re-apply it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.