2002 Grand Cherokee Elec Fan - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2002 Grand Cherokee Elec Fan

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #16
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

lol, they can order it from a warehouse or call other dealers in the area.

Jeep Parts - MoparPartsAmerica.com They will be able to get it for you (likely cheaper). But some members have reported bad luck dealing with them. I've ordered countless things from them since 2008, and just ordered and received a few more this past Wednesday so take it for what it's worth. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again, but some people stay away.

perfectcircle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #17
chm002

Yeah, the fan blade seems cheaper, but their clutch is like 3 times more expensive. This was the fan blade the website found. Look right? Mopar Parts for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep: MoparPartsAmerica
chm002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #18
chm002

Just found a Jeep dealer that carries the DC Part Number 52079984AA Fan part. $72. Hopefully this will do it.
Unread 03-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

You can get the clutch local, and the fan blade through that website. That's what I plan to do if my dealers don't have one readily available. But the one at that dealer will do it!
Unread 03-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
chm002

Well all parts attached and truck tested. I ran it for 25 minutes in place, steady as a rock. When I tested after the hose and thermostat change it took less then 10 minutes before heating issue. The truck runs smooth and has significant air volume...much more then I ever noticed before.

Additional note about installation. Taking the accesory belt helps. Also, turning the fan so that the larger gap between blades is facing upwards also made things easier. Pulling on the shroud defintiely helps. I also used Blue Lock Tite on the bolts for the fan and the clutch. Figured it would ensure it stays on. As for tightening the clutch to the shaft, defintiely have a slim tool tighten with. Otherwie pretty simple.

Thanks again for the excellent idea. I'll note how things work after driving it a bit.
Unread 03-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #21
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

wow that was quick. My efan went out sometime in november and i still haven't gotten to this yet aha. Glad it worked out for the best for you! Can't wait to finish all my other projects and get this done on my own.
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #22
chm002

It was fairly easy to do. The hardest part is getting it into the area. Lots of pulling on the shroud and twisting the unit to get it t slip in. The other tricky art was tightening it. Not having the exact tool to tighten I first used a plumbing tool normally used to tighten drain ctaches. Then once it got to the end I used a very small pipe wrench on the nut and 1/2 wrench on one of the bolts of the pulley the botl comes out of. This allowed me to push in both directions. If you don't do this the pully/blt starts to turn and you can't completely tighten it. When I do this to my brothers Grand Cherokee it will take even less time, 30 minutes tops!

Thanks again for all your help. If your ever in the Chicago area ping me, I owe a good drink! The next thing to look for are new shocks. I've decided to keep this thing for another 100k.
Unread 03-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #23
kcdt58

alright guys, i have a bit of a dilemma. i'm from cedar rapids, iowa but am in las vegas now with my 2000 GC with the 4.0 and pretty sure the relay just went out on my cooling fan. i have no tools with me...can anyone tell me exactly what i'm going to need to swap the relay out? your help is greatly appreciated!!!
kcdt58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #24
chm002

Sorry dude, I went straight to the mechanical solution. Once you have the parts all you need is a 1/2 inch for the small bolts and a large wrench for the nut of the clutch. Not sure what size it is. You could do this with 1.5 hours at worst. No other mods required. My 2 cents...

As for my truck, drivien it several times into the city, let is sit there and run, all works just fine.
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #25
Falkon
2004 WJ 

Picture is from another post...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...cation-473990/

From another post showing access hole...

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...hole+fan+relay

Read through this for several good photos.

Last edited by Falkon; 03-15-2010 at 05:57 PM..
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 09:08 AM   #26
chm002

Hey, is there any issue with having the electric fan operational while having the mechanical fan? Kinda like a backup system?
Unread 03-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #27
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

Nope. I doubt they'll both kick on at the same time but the i6s with tow package should have come with both.
Unread 03-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #28
chm002

Goo t know. I'll be on a lookout for a inexpensive relay. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.