2002 Grand Cherokee Elec Fan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2002 Grand Cherokee Elec Fan

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 03-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
chm002

2002 Grand Cherokee Elec Fan

It appears my electric radiator fan is not kicking in. That would explain the rise in temperature when standing still. Other then the fan and fuse itself, what else should I look at? Where is the sensor that tiggers the fan to go on?

chm002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

Don't bother. Those fans burn through expensive relays constantly. Your best bet is to upgrade to a mechanical fan Mechanical fan upgrade. - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums
perfectcircle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
chm002

Interesting, never thought of mechanical as being an upgrade...but I like it.
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
chm002

btw, why was the elec fan not removed in the link you sent me? Won't it make sense to remove it? looks like 2 bolts and wala.
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

You can remove it if you like. I don't remember what he did in the long run. I'm sure it's more than two bolts but you're right, probably isn't too hard to remove.. The mech fan is an upgrade because it'll pretty much never fail you. It'll cool the motor so much better than the efan and you won't have to worry about the e fan. it's highly common for the relays and fan to crap out. A lot of times when they do, they'll leave the fan running after the car is turned off..thus killing your battery! That's what happened to me. I think the relays are about $90 or so at the dealer, and to keep replacing them gets costly especially if you overheat the motor!
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
chm002

ok, I'm sold. I just tried looking up the parts. The clutch is easy to find, the baldes not so much. Maybe I'll call the local Jeep Dealer. Do you have any suggestions / sites?

- Henry
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

Pretty sure when I looked, I only found it at the dealer. I still haven't done this myself. Luckily it's been cold here and I don't drive the jeep much ha.
Unread 03-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #8
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chm002 View Post
ok, I'm sold. I just tried looking up the parts. The clutch is easy to find, the baldes not so much. Maybe I'll call the local Jeep Dealer. Do you have any suggestions / sites?

- Henry
make sure you get some knowledge on the blades. they come in different pitch degrees, no. of blades and even color. blades and pitch can affect your cooling either good or bad depending on your needs.
[B][/B][SIZE="1"][B]aussie[/B] rear end, drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic brake pads, [B]ironman[/B] adj.front upper/lower and rear lower control arms, [B]teraflex [/B]4" spring lift, [B]fat bobs[/B] 2' bb, [B]rusty's[/B] drop pitman arm, [B]jks[/B] adjustable trackbar, [B]moog[/B] tie rod ends/ball joints, [B]rancho 9000[/B] shocks, [B]kor[/B] dual stabilizer, [B]rough country[/B] front and rear bump stop extensions, homebrew front quick disconnects, [B]rough country[/B] rear swaybar link drop kit, [B]IRO[/B] a-arm spacer, transfer case drop kit, homebrew rocksliders, [B]rola[/B] roof rack, [B]speed bleeders[/B], 2" wheel spacers, 4-[B]treadwright[/B] guard dog mt 265/75/16, mud flaps, [B]superchip[/B], [B]k&n[/B] cold air intake, straightpiped, chrome tailpipe tip,[B] v-led[/B] hid headlights w/halo,[B] v-led [/B]hid foglights w/halo, [B]kidde[/B] fire extinguisher w/bracket, [B]maglite[/B] w/mounting bracket, [B]cobra[/B] cb, [B]firestik[/B] antenna, [B]white gauges[/B] gauge face overlays, [B]viair[/B] compressor, blue led interior lighting upgrade, [B]hi lift[/B] 48" jack, [B]hi lift[/B] jack base, wind deflectors for: hood, moon roof and windows, [B]sony[/B] stereo, [B]garmin[/B] nuvi gps, recovery D ring, interior mount keyed battery switch, custom dash brackets for gps, cb, sat radio, cellphone, bumper mount halogen reverse lights, [B]cobra[/B] radar detector, [B]smittybilt[/B] gear seat covers and tailgate organizer, [B]browning[/B] rooftop camo cargo bags, grille insert, washer fluid reservoir relocation, foldup cargo carrier, aluminum side steps, [B]addco[/B] rear swaybar, deer whistles, [B]mobile one[/B] synthetic oil, [B]slick 50[/B] high mileage oil additive, [B]k&n[/B] oil filter
[B]TO DO:[/B]
[B]reece[/B] front hitch, [B]warn[/B] winch, [B]elocker [/B]or [B]arb[/B] front selectable locker, [B]bulldog[/B] remote start, [B]hi lift[/B] essential parts kit, 2-[B]hella[/B] driving lights, [B]gerry[/B] can and bracket, stinger bar, wood dash kit, snorkel, washer fluid heater, rear swing tire carrier, finish the skid plates, fender flares, [B]addco [/B]front swaybar[/SIZE]
ronsaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
chm002

Guess if I buy the blade from a Jeep dealer it shoul dbe correct...no?
Unread 03-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

Yes, don't listen to him. He really has no idea what he's talking about. And has been known to give out false information. Save the part number, get that part and you'll be 100% fine.
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
Diddy4895
2000 WJ 

I cut a hole in the plastic underneath the headlight assembly so I have easy access to the fan relay. Also took a trip to the auto parts store and bought a relay with a lifetime warranty from O'Reily's. I have since used my warranty five times and they still honor it to this day. The process is a little tedious, however I don't have to go to the dealership anymore and I am able to keep a back up relay on me at all times.
Paul
SOLD!!!
Diddy4895 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
JForest2
2004 WJ 

On my 03 GC my fan relay went out.. Jeep only had 14k miles on it when it happened too.. Dealer fixed for free.. I was going to change mine over but at the time the price is what killed me from doing it.. This was back in 04 and they wanted closed to $800 for me to convert it..

I know the early jeeps with the 4.7 had electric and mechanical. My 02 durango was like this... Never worried about the temp rising with that set up.. If you want and have the money keep the electric and get the mechanical and have both..

When my father had his 99 4.7 he had both electric and mechanical.. When he was on the highway cruising and the clutch fan kicked in you could feel there was a good loss in power but it cooled the motor right away....

My 04 had the hydrualic set-up for the fan.. Not sure why they went from a clutch fan to this set-up.. Does anybody know why...

James
JForest2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #13
chm002

Just called O'Reily's, they have a clutch and blade. Under $100. Apparently the blade is reversible and has a 19" diameter. Called the local Jeep dealer and they have nothing to sell me for the conversion, can only replace original parts. $200 to have them replace the relay. Hearing all your stories I should be lucky I got 102k miles out of my relay!

Thnak you all for your excellent information. I'll get back to you all when I finsih the conversion....
Unread 03-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #14
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

Yeah you don't need to tell them you're converting/adding anything. You NEED the Mopar fan blade. No other fan will move proper air flow. Give the dealer the part number, tell them that's what you want, and ask em how much
Unread 03-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
chm002

oh oh, did not realize that. I asked them if they had any of the blades in stock...their answer was no.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.