JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   2002 Grand Cherokee Elec Fan (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/2002-grand-cherokee-elec-fan-989945/)

chm002 03-12-2010 02:23 PM

2002 Grand Cherokee Elec Fan

It appears my electric radiator fan is not kicking in. That would explain the rise in temperature when standing still. Other then the fan and fuse itself, what else should I look at? Where is the sensor that tiggers the fan to go on?

perfectcircle 03-12-2010 03:23 PM

Don't bother. Those fans burn through expensive relays constantly. Your best bet is to upgrade to a mechanical fan Mechanical fan upgrade. - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums

chm002 03-12-2010 09:32 PM

Interesting, never thought of mechanical as being an upgrade...but I like it.

chm002 03-12-2010 09:34 PM

btw, why was the elec fan not removed in the link you sent me? Won't it make sense to remove it? looks like 2 bolts and wala.

perfectcircle 03-12-2010 09:43 PM

You can remove it if you like. I don't remember what he did in the long run. I'm sure it's more than two bolts but you're right, probably isn't too hard to remove.. The mech fan is an upgrade because it'll pretty much never fail you. It'll cool the motor so much better than the efan and you won't have to worry about the e fan. it's highly common for the relays and fan to crap out. A lot of times when they do, they'll leave the fan running after the car is turned off..thus killing your battery! That's what happened to me. I think the relays are about $90 or so at the dealer, and to keep replacing them gets costly especially if you overheat the motor!

chm002 03-12-2010 10:00 PM

ok, I'm sold. I just tried looking up the parts. The clutch is easy to find, the baldes not so much. Maybe I'll call the local Jeep Dealer. Do you have any suggestions / sites?

- Henry

perfectcircle 03-12-2010 10:14 PM

Pretty sure when I looked, I only found it at the dealer. I still haven't done this myself. Luckily it's been cold here and I don't drive the jeep much ha.

ronsaun 03-12-2010 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chm002 (Post 9075096)
ok, I'm sold. I just tried looking up the parts. The clutch is easy to find, the baldes not so much. Maybe I'll call the local Jeep Dealer. Do you have any suggestions / sites?

- Henry

make sure you get some knowledge on the blades. they come in different pitch degrees, no. of blades and even color. blades and pitch can affect your cooling either good or bad depending on your needs.

chm002 03-13-2010 08:31 AM

Guess if I buy the blade from a Jeep dealer it shoul dbe correct...no?

perfectcircle 03-13-2010 08:55 AM

Yes, don't listen to him. He really has no idea what he's talking about. And has been known to give out false information. Save the part number, get that part and you'll be 100% fine.

Diddy4895 03-13-2010 09:46 AM

I cut a hole in the plastic underneath the headlight assembly so I have easy access to the fan relay. Also took a trip to the auto parts store and bought a relay with a lifetime warranty from O'Reily's. I have since used my warranty five times and they still honor it to this day. The process is a little tedious, however I don't have to go to the dealership anymore and I am able to keep a back up relay on me at all times.

JForest2 03-13-2010 09:50 AM

On my 03 GC my fan relay went out.. Jeep only had 14k miles on it when it happened too.. Dealer fixed for free.. I was going to change mine over but at the time the price is what killed me from doing it.. This was back in 04 and they wanted closed to $800 for me to convert it..

I know the early jeeps with the 4.7 had electric and mechanical. My 02 durango was like this... Never worried about the temp rising with that set up.. If you want and have the money keep the electric and get the mechanical and have both..

When my father had his 99 4.7 he had both electric and mechanical.. When he was on the highway cruising and the clutch fan kicked in you could feel there was a good loss in power but it cooled the motor right away....

My 04 had the hydrualic set-up for the fan.. Not sure why they went from a clutch fan to this set-up.. Does anybody know why...

James

chm002 03-13-2010 10:55 AM

Just called O'Reily's, they have a clutch and blade. Under $100. Apparently the blade is reversible and has a 19" diameter. Called the local Jeep dealer and they have nothing to sell me for the conversion, can only replace original parts. $200 to have them replace the relay. Hearing all your stories I should be lucky I got 102k miles out of my relay!

Thnak you all for your excellent information. I'll get back to you all when I finsih the conversion....

perfectcircle 03-13-2010 11:10 AM

Yeah you don't need to tell them you're converting/adding anything. You NEED the Mopar fan blade. No other fan will move proper air flow. Give the dealer the part number, tell them that's what you want, and ask em how much

chm002 03-13-2010 11:20 AM

oh oh, did not realize that. I asked them if they had any of the blades in stock...their answer was no.

The time now is 06:24 PM.