Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2002 *&*#& alarm

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Astrodokk 
#1 ·
I just got a 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo. It did not come with the remote for the doors. I have had the Jeep about a month and last night at 2:30 AM ! The horn started blowing, luckily it was in the garage and didn't wake up the neighbors. I unhooked the battery to stop the alarm, and took my truck instead. When I got home I hooked the battery back up and tried locking and unlocking the door with hood open and the alarm started in about 30 seconds. I then closed the hood, locked and unlocked the door and it started a series of horn beeps then continuous. I forgot when the horn started last night I had left the key in the ignition. I have now removed the horn relay. Will this have any effect on the operation of the Jeep? I don't want to get stranded and have it shut off and not restart. I did find instructions to by-pass the alarm but I don't have time to pull the door panel before I have to leave for a month. Any help/comments will be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

#2 ·
The best and easiest fix is to get a remote fob at your local dealer

#4 ·
The fob controls on/off of the alarm and panic functions. I am not sure if the alarm would cut the engine. I do not believe so.

#6 ·
I'll tell you what happened to me. Now this is on my '98 GC, but it may be the same problem with the WJ's. There's a switch where the doors close that shuts off the lights and apparently allows the alarm to arm. It also is what tells the onboard computer that a door is ajar, although mine never said it. If it is worn out, it doesn't get "pushed in" all the way when the door is closed, and the alarm goes on at random times, like in the middle of the night as it did with me. Since mine was parked way over on the side driveway, I didn't hear it but my neighbor did and he had to come over and let me know about it.
So check that...it may be a simple fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.