2002 2.7 crd hard to start first thing in morning - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2002 2.7 crd hard to start first thing in morning

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #16
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDIAMOND View Post
Hi AlfaItalia and Robert,

Found one keydance - off/on 3 times and wait for message . My 2002 WJ wont even talk never mind dance. Is there a different dance for different models? The self test for the overhead console is OK. The agent service mechanic knew nothing about the keydance, but had been told of it by a customer .

Fuel filter changed - no water in it. - no heater or water sensor either.

Be in touch.
PDIAMOND
There is a heater/water sensor ....its the plug you had to remove refit that plugs into the base of the filter when you changed it.. Its a bayonet fitting. It will run without it so if you did not fit it, its probably hanging down on its wire somewhere beneath the filter....seen that done several times!

There is also a black knirled plastic water tap on the back of the filter to drain any water. Gently release it when running to blow any water out.

My Jeep usually takes a few attempts to get the codes. I get the best results with a slow and deliberate turn. Turn it far enough for the dash lights to come on but NOT far enough to crank and leave it on on the third "on". If the word DONE comes up then there are no faults! Just keep trying til you get done or the codes.

Unread 11-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Zeolit
2002 WJ 

Morning start

Check glow plugs.
90% it's deffective ; typical for Mercedes engine
Good luck
Zeolit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
Zeolit
2002 WJ 

glow plugs

check them
Zeolit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #19
PDIAMOND
2002 WJ 

Hi All,
My thanks for your comments. The hard start is now solved. I pulled a glowplug, saw a blob of carbon around the tip (like a match head). When this was removed and cleaned with EGR cleaner and checked for heating ability the car now starts fine. I have cleaned the other glow plugs. In this case the glowplugs would test OK electrically, but not present a red hot tip to the fuel.

This all makes sense. However The glow times still don't relate to the coolant temperature (workshop manual table). My glow time(lamp) for 5 deg C is only 3 secs, which seems a bit ridiculous especially if the heat has to get through some carbon. Any other comments are welcome

Still learning,

P.Diamond
PDIAMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 01:34 AM   #20
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

I stand corrected zeolit. Im surprised as I said even with my glowplugs diconnected it only took a fraction longer to start......your live and learn!
Unread 11-29-2013, 02:02 AM   #21
MadderThanMax

^ Haven't seen "Tom" on here for a while have you Dean?
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 03:39 AM   #22
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Hes been logged in as recently as Wednesday but does not seem to have posted since 26.8.13! Hope hes OK and not defected to Range Rover....I know he wanted one of those when he bought his WJ!........mind you so did I!
Unread 11-29-2013, 04:22 AM   #23
MadderThanMax

Eeeeewwww Such talk on this forum ... and you a paid up member too.. Lols!

Just Kidding..
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #24
Robertc2012
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDIAMOND View Post
Hi All,
My thanks for your comments. The hard start is now solved. I pulled a glowplug, saw a blob of carbon around the tip (like a match head). When this was removed and cleaned with EGR cleaner and checked for heating ability the car now starts fine. I have cleaned the other glow plugs. In this case the glowplugs would test OK electrically, but not present a red hot tip to the fuel.

This all makes sense. However The glow times still don't relate to the coolant temperature (workshop manual table). My glow time(lamp) for 5 deg C is only 3 secs, which seems a bit ridiculous especially if the heat has to get through some carbon. Any other comments are welcome

Still learning,

P.Diamond
Excessive carbon build up in a diesel engine can be caused by poor quality fuel or oil in the system. Check your intercooler pipes for oil residue.
Robertc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertc2012 View Post

Excessive carbon build up in a diesel engine can be caused by poor quality fuel or oil in the system. Check your intercooler pipes for oil residue.
.....or vent your crank case breather to the atmosphere like me to avoid oil in the pipes and intercooler and intake as well as it blocking the egr valve. Sod the polar bears!

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.