2001 WJ Pulsing vehicle when braking. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2001 WJ Pulsing vehicle when braking.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
jenmal
2001 WJ 

2001 WJ Pulsing vehicle when braking.

Gang,
I have a pulsing in the braking on my WJ, and while I have read all of the threads on possible warped rotors (first thought), and bad calipers, my pulsing seems to make the whole car move in a forward lung while I am braking, no matter how fast or slow I am stopping, just feels like a forward pulsing as if I am going over small bumps or there is a huge wave in the rotors while stopping and softly jerks me while in the car. First instinct was front rotors, no problem, went out and bought some, but have not replaced them yet because after reading about the pulsing issue being felt in the steering wheel as well, which really does not happen in mine, I thought maybe it was something else causing this as i did not seem to get the wobble normally associated with front rotors being warped, but could be wrong? Could it be the rear rotors or any ideas? its got 119,*** on the dial too.

jenmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
slicvic19

I'd go with changing those rotors..
slicvic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
cubalz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Warped rotors. They are cheaply made and cheap to replace. Buy a pair and a new set of pads and you will be good as new.
2003 Rubicon - 33x12.50x15 GY Duratracs, 15x10 MT Classic Locks, 2" BL, 2" BB, Warn Front Bumper, Garvin ATS Rear Bumper, Body Armor Extreme Rock Rails, Nth Degree Tummy Tucker, Skid Row Engine, LCA and Gas Tank Skid Plates, Teraflex Quick Disco's, Uniden Pro 520xl CB, 3' Firestik Antenna, BW Flat Fender Flares, Tom Woods DS, Currie Rear Adj Arms
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Rotors and possibly calipers, too.
cr8zynelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
jenmal
2001 WJ 

Wj

I'm gonna swap out the rotors this weekend if I can get them off. I just wanted to see if anyone was familiar or thought it may be ABS issues or something along those lines because of the way it stops, as I have been through the warped rotors before on my previous rigs, and some say that the rear rotors could get warped as well, but I have rarely seen that occur. When you get the Calipers, do they come equipped with the plungers as well? I have never swapped them out so I don't know for sure. Thanks again!
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
3Dog

In addition to replacing the rotors, I would strongly recommend upgrading the front calipers to the Akebono setup. This is the factory upgrade starting with the '01 (or maybe '02) model years. The '99-'00 calipers suck, and tend to twist in their mounts under heavier braking. Causes the whole front end to shake under heavy braking. I replaced mine, along with new rotors and pads, and all is well.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
multmigs
2003 WJ 

What are caliper plungers? When you upgrade the calipers you need the calipers and the caliper to knuckle bracket part. Several people have also had a bad front brake hose which is colapsed internally or clogged cause this same type of problem you are having.
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
jenmal
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by multmigs View Post
What are caliper plungers? When you upgrade the calipers you need the calipers and the caliper to knuckle bracket part. Several people have also had a bad front brake hose which is colapsed internally or clogged cause this same type of problem you are having.
Ohhhh! I better check that out then, that sounds like it would not be good if that's the case as well!
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
jenmal
2001 WJ 

Ok so I finally got around to changing the brakes and rotors, and whan I drove again the brakes still pulsed when stopping, and I discovered that I had not torqued the wheels right, as I was having a wobble now when I drove, so I retorqued tonite and drove for a bit, then tightened again. Even though I did not put top of the line rotors on, they could not possibly get warped that fast again, so I am thinking maybe the rear rotors are bad as well, but I am also thinking maybe one of the front calipers is sticking. Does anyone know how to determne if a caliper is sticking at all? I know take it off, but I did and just c-clamped them in to get the brakes on! I am going to bleed the brakes this weekend and change the fluid out, as I am sure in the time the previous owner had it this has never been done! I also discovered while checking into the wobble that my drag link had bad bushings as it had play in it and moved around, but I never felt it before as a wiggling. I hope that the surging is just the rotors or a stuck caliper, or is there something else I should be checking? Thanks again!
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmal View Post
Ok so I finally got around to changing the brakes and rotors, and whan I drove again the brakes still pulsed when stopping, and I discovered that I had not torqued the wheels right, as I was having a wobble now when I drove, so I retorqued tonite and drove for a bit, then tightened again. Even though I did not put top of the line rotors on, they could not possibly get warped that fast again, so I am thinking maybe the rear rotors are bad as well, but I am also thinking maybe one of the front calipers is sticking. Does anyone know how to determne if a caliper is sticking at all? I know take it off, but I did and just c-clamped them in to get the brakes on! I am going to bleed the brakes this weekend and change the fluid out, as I am sure in the time the previous owner had it this has never been done! I also discovered while checking into the wobble that my steering linkage (The bar from the steering pump to the wheels) had bad bushings as it had play in it and moved around, but I never felt it before as a wiggling. I hope that the surging is just the rotors or a stuck caliper, or is there something else I should be checking? Thanks again!
Did you read my post above? Not my opinion, but the collective experience of the crowd. If you are still running the stock ATE / Teves calipers, upgrade to the Akebono setup (as the factory did starting in 2002). The original ATE / Teves calipers are pure crap, as evidenced by the symptoms you describe.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
jenmal
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dog View Post
Did you read my post above? Not my opinion, but the collective experience of the crowd. If you are still running the stock ATE / Teves calipers, upgrade to the Akebono setup (as the factory did starting in 2002). The original ATE / Teves calipers are pure crap, as evidenced by the symptoms you describe.
I just looked up some in my hometown, and i found the calipers and brackets almost new for 28.99 each! I think I am going to take the others off and put these on and see what happens! Can't be that hard to swap out calipers.
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dog View Post
In addition to replacing the rotors, I would strongly recommend upgrading the front calipers to the Akebono setup. This is the factory upgrade starting with the '01 (or maybe '02) model years. The '99-'00 calipers suck, and tend to twist in their mounts under heavier braking. Causes the whole front end to shake under heavy braking. I replaced mine, along with new rotors and pads, and all is well.
My '02 has the Teves calipers. As far as I know they switched somewhere in the middle of the '02 model year. I do get vibrations under heavy braking and it's not my rotors.

Know a decent place where I can order a full kit to swap out my front ones?
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspah View Post
My '02 has the Teves calipers. As far as I know they switched somewhere in the middle of the '02 model year. I do get vibrations under heavy braking and it's not my rotors.

Know a decent place where I can order a full kit to swap out my front ones?

^^ A little pricey, but everything is included:

http://www.jeepsareus.com/p/5093174AD.html

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
multmigs
2003 WJ 

That "kit" clearly states its just the 2 front calipers nothing else, definately better prices are out there at local stores or rockauto.com For $200 you can get the 2 front calipers loaded with pads, the caliper to knuckly brackets and 2 new good quality rotors like centric and you will have no more problems. All you do is ask for the parts to do front brakes on a 04 GC and thats what they will sell you. Most local places will also have no problem taking your old style calipers as the core deposit for the new stuff since they just ship them all off to rebuilders/scrappers.
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #15
filipm
2002 WJ 

I have an '02 and was having the same issues with the Teves front calipers. Ended up getting the Akebono front upgrade along with stillen rotors and pads all around from Kolak. Little pricey compared to some rotors/pads but so far well worth the cost. Brakes are silky smooth and much better stopping power.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.