JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   2001 WJ Pulsing vehicle when braking. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/2001-wj-pulsing-vehicle-when-braking-1558272/)

jenmal 08-05-2013 02:31 PM

2001 WJ Pulsing vehicle when braking.

Gang,
I have a pulsing in the braking on my WJ, and while I have read all of the threads on possible warped rotors (first thought), and bad calipers, my pulsing seems to make the whole car move in a forward lung while I am braking, no matter how fast or slow I am stopping, just feels like a forward pulsing as if I am going over small bumps or there is a huge wave in the rotors while stopping and softly jerks me while in the car. First instinct was front rotors, no problem, went out and bought some, but have not replaced them yet because after reading about the pulsing issue being felt in the steering wheel as well, which really does not happen in mine, I thought maybe it was something else causing this as i did not seem to get the wobble normally associated with front rotors being warped, but could be wrong? Could it be the rear rotors or any ideas? its got 119,*** on the dial too.

slicvic19 08-05-2013 07:43 PM

I'd go with changing those rotors..

cubalz 08-05-2013 07:46 PM

Warped rotors. They are cheaply made and cheap to replace. Buy a pair and a new set of pads and you will be good as new.

cr8zynelly 08-05-2013 07:50 PM

Rotors and possibly calipers, too.

jenmal 08-06-2013 08:24 AM

I'm gonna swap out the rotors this weekend if I can get them off. I just wanted to see if anyone was familiar or thought it may be ABS issues or something along those lines because of the way it stops, as I have been through the warped rotors before on my previous rigs, and some say that the rear rotors could get warped as well, but I have rarely seen that occur. When you get the Calipers, do they come equipped with the plungers as well? I have never swapped them out so I don't know for sure. Thanks again!

3Dog 08-06-2013 08:32 AM

In addition to replacing the rotors, I would strongly recommend upgrading the front calipers to the Akebono setup. This is the factory upgrade starting with the '01 (or maybe '02) model years. The '99-'00 calipers suck, and tend to twist in their mounts under heavier braking. Causes the whole front end to shake under heavy braking. I replaced mine, along with new rotors and pads, and all is well.

multmigs 08-06-2013 09:51 AM

What are caliper plungers? When you upgrade the calipers you need the calipers and the caliper to knuckle bracket part. Several people have also had a bad front brake hose which is colapsed internally or clogged cause this same type of problem you are having.

jenmal 08-06-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multmigs (Post 15762540)
What are caliper plungers? When you upgrade the calipers you need the calipers and the caliper to knuckle bracket part. Several people have also had a bad front brake hose which is colapsed internally or clogged cause this same type of problem you are having.

Ohhhh!:eek: I better check that out then, that sounds like it would not be good if that's the case as well!

jenmal 08-13-2013 08:58 PM

Ok so I finally got around to changing the brakes and rotors, and whan I drove again the brakes still pulsed when stopping, and I discovered that I had not torqued the wheels right, as I was having a wobble now when I drove, so I retorqued tonite and drove for a bit, then tightened again. Even though I did not put top of the line rotors on, they could not possibly get warped that fast again, so I am thinking maybe the rear rotors are bad as well, but I am also thinking maybe one of the front calipers is sticking. Does anyone know how to determne if a caliper is sticking at all? I know take it off, but I did and just c-clamped them in to get the brakes on! I am going to bleed the brakes this weekend and change the fluid out, as I am sure in the time the previous owner had it this has never been done! I also discovered while checking into the wobble that my drag link had bad bushings as it had play in it and moved around, but I never felt it before as a wiggling. I hope that the surging is just the rotors or a stuck caliper, or is there something else I should be checking? Thanks again!:teehee:

3Dog 08-13-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenmal (Post 15791719)
Ok so I finally got around to changing the brakes and rotors, and whan I drove again the brakes still pulsed when stopping, and I discovered that I had not torqued the wheels right, as I was having a wobble now when I drove, so I retorqued tonite and drove for a bit, then tightened again. Even though I did not put top of the line rotors on, they could not possibly get warped that fast again, so I am thinking maybe the rear rotors are bad as well, but I am also thinking maybe one of the front calipers is sticking. Does anyone know how to determne if a caliper is sticking at all? I know take it off, but I did and just c-clamped them in to get the brakes on! I am going to bleed the brakes this weekend and change the fluid out, as I am sure in the time the previous owner had it this has never been done! I also discovered while checking into the wobble that my steering linkage (The bar from the steering pump to the wheels) had bad bushings as it had play in it and moved around, but I never felt it before as a wiggling. I hope that the surging is just the rotors or a stuck caliper, or is there something else I should be checking? Thanks again!:teehee:

Did you read my post above? Not my opinion, but the collective experience of the crowd. If you are still running the stock ATE / Teves calipers, upgrade to the Akebono setup (as the factory did starting in 2002). The original ATE / Teves calipers are pure crap, as evidenced by the symptoms you describe.

jenmal 08-13-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Dog (Post 15791839)
Did you read my post above? Not my opinion, but the collective experience of the crowd. If you are still running the stock ATE / Teves calipers, upgrade to the Akebono setup (as the factory did starting in 2002). The original ATE / Teves calipers are pure crap, as evidenced by the symptoms you describe.

I just looked up some in my hometown, and i found the calipers and brackets almost new for 28.99 each! I think I am going to take the others off and put these on and see what happens! Can't be that hard to swap out calipers.

Jaspah 08-14-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Dog (Post 15762213)
In addition to replacing the rotors, I would strongly recommend upgrading the front calipers to the Akebono setup. This is the factory upgrade starting with the '01 (or maybe '02) model years. The '99-'00 calipers suck, and tend to twist in their mounts under heavier braking. Causes the whole front end to shake under heavy braking. I replaced mine, along with new rotors and pads, and all is well.

My '02 has the Teves calipers. As far as I know they switched somewhere in the middle of the '02 model year. I do get vibrations under heavy braking and it's not my rotors.

Know a decent place where I can order a full kit to swap out my front ones?

3Dog 08-14-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaspah (Post 15793310)
My '02 has the Teves calipers. As far as I know they switched somewhere in the middle of the '02 model year. I do get vibrations under heavy braking and it's not my rotors.

Know a decent place where I can order a full kit to swap out my front ones?

^^ A little pricey, but everything is included:

http://www.jeepsareus.com/p/5093174AD.html

multmigs 08-19-2013 08:03 AM

That "kit" clearly states its just the 2 front calipers nothing else, definately better prices are out there at local stores or rockauto.com For $200 you can get the 2 front calipers loaded with pads, the caliper to knuckly brackets and 2 new good quality rotors like centric and you will have no more problems. All you do is ask for the parts to do front brakes on a 04 GC and thats what they will sell you. Most local places will also have no problem taking your old style calipers as the core deposit for the new stuff since they just ship them all off to rebuilders/scrappers.

filipm 08-19-2013 09:49 AM

I have an '02 and was having the same issues with the Teves front calipers. Ended up getting the Akebono front upgrade along with stillen rotors and pads all around from Kolak. Little pricey compared to some rotors/pads but so far well worth the cost. Brakes are silky smooth and much better stopping power.

The time now is 08:15 AM.