2001 WJ looking to buy, need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2001 WJ looking to buy, need advice

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
eric12

2001 WJ looking to buy, need advice

I'm Looking to buy this 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 101,500 miles on it for about 3,200 (Great interior and exterior cosmetics). I took it to a Jeep Dealer to get it checked out before purchasing. Here are a couple of finds

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/4171663701.html

Rear Diff/or Rear Wheel Bearing noise?
estimate: $1100

Valve Cover Gasket Leaking
estimate: $400

Front Crank Seal Leaking
estimate: $400

Muffler coming apart
estimate: $800

Is the Car worth the purchase at 3200? Or am I getting myself in to a lot of work?

eric12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
gotjeepzj

Get second opinion for everything. Do you have mechanical skills? Changing the valve cover gasket isn't hard so that saves $400.

$800 for a muffler coming apart?!

I paid $400 for a complete header back custom exhaust with new cat and flomaster.

If the rear end checked out, id say yes.
gotjeepzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Lol, $400 for a leaking valve cover on an 4.0?! The fel-pro gasket is $20 and can be changed in under a half hour. You should ask that guy how that "V-6" has worked for him.
Cirruslydakota is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12 View Post
Is the Car worth the purchase at 3200? Or am I getting myself in to a lot of work?
Well, if you add up all of the quoted repairs plus the cost of the vehicle, you come up with $5900. So ask yourself this question: is this jeep worth that amount to you or could you spend that same amount and find a much nicer example of a WJ?
2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.