2001 WJ Brake Squeaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2001 WJ Brake Squeaking

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 11-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Oilsooner

2001 WJ Brake Squeaking

I have a 2001 WJ with 125k, and have noticed that the brakes are squeaking when I completely depress the pedal. Oddly, if doesn't happen unless I have the pedal nearly completely down, then press it harder (all the way to the floor, say when completely stopped). It sounds like a somewhat loud squeak / sliding noise (at first, I thought one of the tires was locking up) under the hood on the drivers side (is that where the MC is located?). I did change out the radiator last weekend (myself), but thought I re filled all of the fluids to where they should be. Any thoughts on what this might be? I am thinking the master cylinder / brake booster maybe going, but am not sure.

On an unrelated note, my Jeep has 125k (I bought it at 85K), and I don't know that the transmission fluid has ever been changed. I'm not having any real problems with it now (other than some hard shifting, esp from reverse to drive, which I am told is just a Jeep thing). Should I replace it (and the filters) myself, or take it to be done professionally? I'm pretty sure I don't want it flushed, but would want to change out what I could if needed.

Thanks!

Oilsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Oilsooner

Thought I might add, though I am not sure that its related, that the brakes seem to momentarily stop working if I am braking and hit a bump. I know that sounds odd, but if I am applying the brakes, and hit a bump in the road, it feels like the brakes stop working for a second, then go back to working once the suspension stops working excessively.

As far as brake work, I had the entire front system (calipers and rotors) changed about 15-20k ago due to the front brakes locking up, and changed the rear pads about 25K ago.
Oilsooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.