2001 WJ Brake and ABS Lights Coming On! Please Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2001 WJ Brake and ABS Lights Coming On! Please Help!

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-09-2010, 03:59 AM   #1
HondaPeople
2001 WJ 

2001 WJ Brake and ABS Lights Coming On! Please Help!

Recently my ABS and Brake light have been coming on my dash board. Is there a sensor going out or something? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

Unread 05-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
DirtyThoughts
2002 WJ 

It's either the speed sensor that is on the transmission, which is about 17 bucks. Or it's one of the ABS sensors on one of the wheels. Do you have a speedometer still?
DirtyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
HondaPeople
2001 WJ 

Yes, I do still have the speedometer. If the sensor goes out, then will i lose the speedometer? Thank you again for your time.
Unread 05-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Speedometer is based on the tone rings on the abs system on the WJs.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

The lights are caused by a malfunctioning/missing ABS sensor. Have you had any recent work done to the jeep? Its possible that one of the sensors is broken or the wire going to it was cut.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyThoughts View Post
It's either the speed sensor that is on the transmission, which is about 17 bucks. Or it's one of the ABS sensors on one of the wheels. Do you have a speedometer still?
There is no speed sensor on the transmission. The speed is gathered from information from each abs sensor (one at each wheel) If one fails, it will trip both the abs and brake lights, but the speedo will still work based on info from the other three sensors.

Dirty, if your transmission does have a speed sensor on it, refer to my comments in your other thread regarding your steering setup.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
indept
2000 WJ 

My WJ's ABS light came on 2 1/2 years ago (1 month before inspection was due). Of course you can't read ABS codes with an OBDII reader so I went to the stealership & paid 45 bucks to read them. It came up that 2 wheel sensors codes & a code for the pump controller (or just pump, I don't remember exactly now). So I tried to check them with an ohmmeter but found you can't check these that way. Well I checked the sensors to verify no busted wires. I seated the big wire harness connector on the pump controller. The light went out and didn't come on again until last week. The antilock brakes worked fine for the whole time, especially during our snowy winter. When the light came on last week on my way to work, I went into work and when I drove home that night it had gone out. well the next day it came on again. When I left work that night (thursday) I pushed on the connector to seat it. The light hasn't come on since. I'm wondering if it's not bad solder joints on the controller board where the mating connector solders to it. I may see if I can get to it without compltely removing it from the Jeep.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.