2001 Limited need help with AZC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2001 Limited need help with AZC

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-20-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
j4bs4209333
2001 WJ 

2001 Limited need help with AZC

Hi I have a 2001 Limited WJ and I have issues with my AZC system. I just replaced the heater core 3 weeks ago and also checked and replaced the one bad blend door. Only 1 was bad the others all looked brand new. The issue I have is that I only get barely warm heat from the driver's side and hot from the passenger's side. If I take off the actuator behind the glove box I can manually turn the door and get heat, but it will not work electronically. Also if I press the recirc button it lights up and stays lit but the recirc door does not move. The recirc door is brand new. The only signs of life I get from the actuators is when I shut the Jeep off I can hear the doors moving (horrible creaking noises) after a few minutes. I tried putting the AZC unit into diagnostic mode and it will not respond. I know how to put it in diagnostic mode but this one won't go. Is it possible my main controller is bad? Anyone experience this issue before? Thanks in advance.

j4bs4209333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
car5car
2000 WJ 

If climate control has power and ground, it should show codes.
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
j4bs4209333
2001 WJ 

It has power and ground but no codes and wont enter that diagnostic mode.
Unread 11-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
nolimitssjca
1999 WJ 

I just went through this in depth. First let's get you into the diagnostic mode. After that we can reset the controls.

To enter the self-diagnostic mode:
1: Start the engine
2: Turn the zone switch from off to on
3: Depress the a/c and recirc buttons at the same time and hold 3 seconds
4: Rotate the left temperature control knob clockwise (CW) one detent.

Here's a video:
http://www.jgcparts.com/media/Diagno...ter_WMV_V9.wmv
1970 Chevy C-20 350, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan
nolimitssjca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 01:27 AM   #5
car5car
2000 WJ 

There are 2 common problems, which I repaired a few times:
1. Broken hot/cold blend doors, motors, white door axles.
I installed doors from Laredo models, rear (toward firewall) axle hole has to be drilled to allow free movement over axle.
Motors are for sale in any part store.
2. Broken recirculation door, motor.
I drilled 2 holes in rec. door and used wire to hold door to top vent hole.
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
j4bs4209333
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimitssjca View Post
I just went through this in depth. First let's get you into the diagnostic mode. After that we can reset the controls.

To enter the self-diagnostic mode:
1: Start the engine
2: Turn the zone switch from off to on
3: Depress the a/c and recirc buttons at the same time and hold 3 seconds
4: Rotate the left temperature control knob clockwise (CW) one detent.

Here's a video:
http://www.jgcparts.com/media/Diagno...ter_WMV_V9.wmv
Lmao I should be riding the short bus. Thanks for the video link. I was turning the fan speed dial one notch instead of the temp knob. Ok so now I got the codes 15 50 52 54 56. I checked every door when I replaced the heater core and they were all fine. The recirc door and the 2 blend doors were both brand new. The panel door was the original but it was still fine with hinge intact. I just recently bought the Jeep with a bad heater core so I immediately replaced it and never tried the heat myself. When I test drove it the previous owner reached in the glove box and manually turned the driver's side blend door by hand to get heat on the driver's side, so I'm assuming whatever the issue is it is not something I did incorrectly. I have no doubt that the blend and recirc doors were already replaced before because when I removed the dash half the screws/bolts were missing. Just to see if I possibly had the actuators on incorrectly I held my hand up to the recir actuator and hit the recirc button and it doesn't respond. I did the same with the blend door actuator and that also will not respond. Just to keep my side warm I opened the blend actuator and re-positioned the gear inside to keep the blend door in the open position so I have heat. I just reinstalled it and left it unplugged. If it makes any difference I had to replace the battery after it was all put back together so if there was anything in memory I'm sure it was reset. I'm thinking I should back probe the actuator harness and see if the control panel is directing it to open/close.
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
nolimitssjca
1999 WJ 

Good! That video is worth a 1000 words isn't it? :-)

Now that we have codes we can proceed. (I pulled my entire dash only to find everything worked - lesson learned)

What I learned was that once faults are detected they will not try again for 72 cycles. That means they will appear broken even if you have resolved the problem.

Next up:
1: Clear the resolved codes
2: Recalibrate the actuator motors.

1: To clear the resolved codes depress and hold either the A/C or Recirc button for at least three seconds while the display is in the fault code mode of operation. The codes that are left are what need to be addressed.

2: Recalibration of the door actuators:
1. Turn the ignition on.
2. Set the AZC to automatic.
3. Turn the ignition off.
4. Remove the IOD fuse from the Power Distribution Center (50 amp fuse in slot 15). Wait several seconds, and then re-install the IOD fuse.
5. Turn the ignition on. Do not touch any of the AZC controls for at least one minute to allow the calibration function to run to completion.You should hear the doors move.
Unread 11-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #8
j4bs4209333
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Good! That video is worth a 1000 words isn't it? :-)

Now that we have codes we can proceed. (I pulled my entire dash only to find everything worked - lesson learned)

What I learned was that once faults are detected they will not try again for 72 cycles. That means they will appear broken even if you have resolved the problem.

Next up:
1: Clear the resolved codes
2: Recalibrate the actuator motors.

1: To clear the resolved codes depress and hold either the A/C or Recirc button for at least three seconds while the display is in the fault code mode of operation. The codes that are left are what need to be addressed.

2: Recalibration of the door actuators:
1. Turn the ignition on.
2. Set the AZC to automatic.
3. Turn the ignition off.
4. Remove the IOD fuse from the Power Distribution Center (50 amp fuse in slot 15). Wait several seconds, and then re-install the IOD fuse.
5. Turn the ignition on. Do not touch any of the AZC controls for at least one minute to allow the calibration function to run to completion.You should hear the doors move.
ok you were 100% perfect on your instructions. I did exactly what you said and it did reset it like you explained. Unfortunately now it has a bunch of different codes. I'll update this later with the codes. I'm wondering if when I re-installed the heater box (or the person that originally pulled it) I mixed up the wiring harnesses to the actuators. Oddly enough the defrost does not work, it only blows out on the panel but when I set the temp controls down to about 55 the defrost vents open and it blows out hot. As of now it's hot on both sides because I manually set the gear on the driver's side actuator and if I need defrost I crank the temp down. I'm fine with it how it is, but it would be ideal if it actually worked as it should. Thanks for your help.
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
nolimitssjca
1999 WJ 

Glad to hear this worked for you. My suggestion is to give it a few days to see if the functions changes and then try resetting the codes again. All of the motors are the same. Your computer doesn't care which one it is, only that it moves as it is supposed too. Let me know what codes you find and if anything changes.
Unread 11-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
j4bs4209333
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Glad to hear this worked for you. My suggestion is to give it a few days to see if the functions changes and then try resetting the codes again. All of the motors are the same. Your computer doesn't care which one it is, only that it moves as it is supposed too. Let me know what codes you find and if anything changes.

I tried it again and still the same. I pulled the codes again and they are the same codes again. 15 50 52 54 56. Just out of curiosity I unplugged the actuator behind the glove box and tested it with a test light. I get alternating power and ground constantly from it. It just blinks red then green and so on.
Unread 11-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
nolimitssjca
1999 WJ 

Did you try the same test with the fresh air door and the front actuator?
Unread 12-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
ace402

Did you ever figure out what was wrong?
ace402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
j4bs4209333
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace402 View Post
Did you ever figure out what was wrong?
No I never figured it out and I couldn't reach any other actuators to test the wiring harnesses. As it is now I just leave it on high to get hot air from the regular vents and when I need defrost I have to turn the temp dials down to low. None of the other parts work, like the floor and the mix etc. The recirc door doesn't move but the light will stay lit if I press it. I figure I'll just live with it, at least I'm not freezing my *** off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.