2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD Issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille

Unread 08-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
mmichalak89

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD Issues

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with issues in the 4WD. It won't engage. I can spin the rear drive shaft while holding the front drive shaft with little to no resistance. Is that normal or can there be an issue in the transfer case? Also, I took the cover off of the front axle and when I spin the front pass tire it spins a gear, but when I spin the front drive shaft it never engages to move that gear or obviously the tire. Can there be an issue with the front axle as well? Any more information needed just let me know.

Thanks

mmichalak89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
mmichalak89

Anyone?
mmichalak89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
TeleBruce
2001 WJ 

The '01 Grand Cherokee Limited came with Quadradrive. This link will explain briefly how it works:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm

If you search for Quadradrive or 247 transfer case here in the forums, you will find a lot of information on how it works - or not.

The Quadradrive is a hydraulic system. When the rear wheels begin to slip & spin, power is transferred to the front ones. When it works it works really well. But if basic maintenance is not followed, the components fail and it is very expensive to repair.
Your differentials are also hydraulic.

When I bought my '01, I found that the Quadradrive had indeed failed, and it was less expensive to get the mechanical 242 case and a drive shaft from a used parts dealer and have that installed.
I actually prefer that setup because my first Jeep was a '91 Cherokee with the same transfer case. When I pull the lever into 4wd, I know it's fully engaged.
For a few weeks after I bought my '01, I was suspicious of the Quadradrive because it just didn't feel like it was running in 4wd when I needed it to. When winter finally came, I had a really hard time in the snow until I put it in 4Lo. Then it would drive like (better really) than my '91, but you can't really drive too far in Low. Checked the fluid and it was black. Probably never changed by the previous owner. So in went the mechanical case. I've had absolutely no problems since after that.

Got a good local mechanic you trust? drop it off and have the transfer case and differentials tested to see which is working or not.
TeleBruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.