2001 Grand Cherokee - Passenger Side Floor Leak When it Rains - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-14-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
americanemu25
2001 WJ 

2001 Grand Cherokee - Passenger Side Floor Leak When it Rains

Hello,

Water only appears on the floor board when it rains and it gets soaked! I've located where the water is coming in (
), but I have no idea where it's coming from.

The first thing I did was follow
video. I had the same issue with the snapped hose, so I put some tube between the two ends. It's possible that the water is coming in through another part of the hose tho.

I've removed the interior door panel and the plastic wrapping is still in place. I've caulked some of the hinges between the door and the body, but that didn't seem to do anything. AC drain is good. Heater core is good.

Another idea is that maybe it's rusted out between the interior and the exterior where the water is leaking in. If that's the case, how can I fix that?

Also, a few months ago a plastic bag got caught on the antenna while I was driving on the highway and now that part is loose but still attached. Could water somehow be running down the antenna wire and into the interior?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-14-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
americanemu25
2001 WJ 

Sorry for screwing up the hyperlinks...
post #3 of 10 Old 02-15-2017, 09:29 AM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

I have had the same issue with my 2000 WJ going on 4 years. Same side. I have checked all the usual, typical causes, including this one. I can actually pour water into the drain hole of the moon roof and have it run out underneath the car. It is not leaking into it. This only happens when it rains and its driving me crazy. I have posted here for causes, and none of the suggestions have helped me to figure it out. You were lucky to have it be so obvious and a simple fix.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-15-2017, 10:33 AM
JohnnyBertone
2003 WJ 

i have the same thing in my 03 lol. whenever it rains i hear a drip drip drip but i don't care enough to find it... its not on the drivers side so it doesn't affect me
post #5 of 10 Old 02-15-2017, 12:06 PM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

It makes a mess. Possibly creates rust and you have a bundle of wires sitting in water which can't be good for long. I don't hear any drips and even though I have gone into the jeep during a pouring rain,I can't see where it is coming from. Its not running down from under the dash, or down the firewall.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-15-2017, 12:34 PM
skain8

2002 WJ 

Don't assume that bc you see water exiting under the vehicle that the sunroof drains are fully in tact. My driver and passenger carpets would get soaked while water would drain bc the hoses coming down the A pillar were disintegrated only in small sections. Pull the A pillar trim piece and inspect the hoses for cracks.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 Old 02-15-2017, 03:02 PM
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
Don't assume that bc you see water exiting under the vehicle that the sunroof drains are fully in tact. My driver and passenger carpets would get soaked while water would drain bc the hoses coming down the A pillar were disintegrated only in small sections. Pull the A pillar trim piece and inspect the hoses for cracks.
Good advice. There can be a small hole somewhere in that hose.

Build Thread

post #8 of 10 Old 02-15-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
americanemu25
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseasons View Post
I have had the same issue with my 2000 WJ going on 4 years. Same side. I have checked all the usual, typical causes, including this one. I can actually pour water into the drain hole of the moon roof and have it run out underneath the car. It is not leaking into it. This only happens when it rains and its driving me crazy. I have posted here for causes, and none of the suggestions have helped me to figure it out. You were lucky to have it be so obvious and a simple fix.
I have no found a resolution. The leak still exists.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-18-2017, 12:00 AM
THEBAD1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanemu25 View Post
I have no found a resolution. The leak still exists.

I had the same problem. Any time it rained my floor would be soaked ...like someone poured water on it ??? I looked and checked all the spots the WJ's are known for leaks. It seem to be a door seal..replaced it and still water getting in ?? It got to the point I took the carpet out to fine were the water was running in. Well after many months looking for it I found it. I was water testing areas with a hose and had the door open!!! by accident I hit the mirror with the running hose and water came out of the bottom of the door panel?? So I pulled off the door panel and did it again, the water was coming in from the door mirror on the inside??? I took the mirror off and found my problem. It was a small foam seal that was deteriorated and was a fairly lager hole to where all the water was coming in!!!!! Fixed it water leak gone!!! This may be a place to look.....

Jeep Grand Cherokee/WJ 4.7/ Laredo 2004
post #10 of 10 Old 02-18-2017, 08:18 AM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

I have pulled the pillar and checked the hose, full length. I have also poured warm water down the tube from the drain hole in the moon roof and could feel it running out the bottom of the car. I spent 20 minutes in the Jeep yesterday during a pouring rain. And I heard a dripping, but could not find the drip source. I replaced that mirror when I bought the Jeep. I pulled the door panel on that side and it does not appear to be leaking. I didn't test it with a hose, but the foam seal in the area of the mirror, where unit attaches to the door, is intact and dry as a bone. There was no residual water in the bottom of the door panel and its been raining here for weeks and as recent as yesterday. Onward through the fog.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.