2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo issues

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
texasplumr
2001 WJ 

2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo issues

Hi, I'm new here. I guess I should introduce myself.

Russ Lane is my name. I'm 56 and live in Austin Tx.

I don't own a Jeep yet but am looking at a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0, 4X4 with 53000 miles on the clock. Clean as a whistle and tires are nearly new.

I love the way it looks and drives. But after reading all of the hate mail on the web about these vehicles I'm wondering just how bad can they be? I also realize that most people don't post if they love it, only if it doesn't meet their expectations somehow.

I want the vehicle to go to the beach fishing and for a commuter for my wife.
I can and will do most of the mechanic work myself so I don't mind frequent brake jobs and will service it according to the book. I guess what is scaring me is the electrical issues I keep reading about. And the issues with the a/c vents, how common are these? Can a person expect to get 100K on one without removing the dash? Is it possible to get 100K on the window motors?

I have read the FAQs and the service bulletins. Are there any others that I need to worry about? Anything to check on the Jeep before I put down hard cash?

Thanks, I appreciate any advice I can get!

Russ Lane
Austin, Tx.

texasplumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
BransJeep
2000 WJ 

If its a laredo as you have said it doesn't have the blend door issue that your talkin about with the air vents. Laredo has a vaccuum controled HVAC, while the limited has an electronic controled system which is what fails. Also with my experience with them there great vehicles mine has 118,000 on it with no real issues besides a front driveshaft which faile due to my lift. For what your looking for this jeep if properly maintained will take you where you need to go and last.
4.5 inch lift, front Ironman 4x4 adjustable CA's
RB1 and full J&L audio setup
Rola roof rack
BransJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Welcome! I just picked up my Grand Cherokee a few weeks ago too. Mine has some issues with it but the PO did not respect the jeep like they should. Overheated it and engine was knocking. It was their fault not the jeeps fault. They drove it with a faulty elcetric fan relay. Just keep the engine cool and it will be a good jeep for you.
88yjproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
texasplumr
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the replies, that's what I was hoping to hear!

Russ Lane
Austin, Tx.
Unread 06-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
PCJona
2002 WJ 

yeah, since you are an older couple, and a mechanic which is a huge plus, that car should last longer then you do. haha i kid, but really, with a jeep that only has 53k miles, you should have an amazing car.

one this you might want to look into is getting the akenbo brake calipers. the ones that are on your car might be the ones known to cause front rotor warping. unless it was serviced and they changed them.

have fun with a great jeep man.
PCJona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 04:21 AM   #6
xjokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hi Russ and welcome!
If you get the service records for the Jeep, thats a huge plus. If it was a one owner vehicle, even better! I have three Jeeps in our family. A 2002 Grand Cherokee Special Edition, a 1998 XJ Cherokee(smaller boxy type), and a 2006 KJ Liberty Renegade. Each have their own quirks, and each is a blast to drive on and off road. Like the other person mentioned, since it is a base Laredo you won't be plagued by that pesky dual climate control blend door issue. If the price is realistic, then jump on it. You don't find many with that low mileage. You probably have the 4.0L inline six cylinder motor which I would bet leaks oil from the rear main seal. Don't let that be a deal killer because eventually they all leak. A relatively easy fix for the shadetree mechanic. If you decide to pull the trigger, come on back and post a few pics of the new addition. Good luck,
Mike
Unread 06-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
texasplumr
2001 WJ 

Thanks again. It is a one owner vehicle and they have some of the service records. They had some issues under warranty but nothing out of the ordinary according to what I have read. I doubt the calipers have been replaced. It also came here from Nebraska which got me thinking about salt on the roads. But then I remembered I plan to take this thing camping on the National Seashore a few times per year so I guess I shouldn't worry too much about a little salt on the roads.

As far as getting it for a good price, well, I'm not gonna be able to steal it. They know what they have and of course, I *want* it. That even makes it worse.

I'm relieved to know that it is the Limited that had the a/c vent issues. I could just hear my wife going on and on with me pulling the dash out of our new Jeep.

I'll post some pics when and if I bring it home. It's looking more and more like I'll be buying this thing.

Thanks again!

Russ Lane
Austin, Tx.
Unread 06-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
MudPit
2001 WJ 

You also have to keep in mind how many of these things have been sold. Of course there are going to be issues because some people treat them like toyotas, which can run without oil. These can't. I have the Laredo with all of the limited options and the 6. To me, that is perfect.
Unread 06-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
RyanSBenson
2001 WJ 

I also have a 01 laredo. Great Jeep I really like it a lot. Only complaint is that the 4.0 is not quite enough to move this large of a Jeep. I came from an XJ and the engine felt much stronger in that platform. I would check the rear fender for rust. The pinch seam on mine failed and it is rusting from the inside out which kinda sucks. Not that big of a deal, but if you are planning on keeping it for a long time it will only get worse.

It is possible that it might have the upgraded calipers, mine did. If it doesn't that might be a bargaining chip. When you take a look at it check to see if there are any codes stored.
RyanSBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #10
texasplumr
2001 WJ 

Well, I bought it and so far, so good.

It's funny though, two days after I bought it the drivers side window wouldn't roll up. The previous owner felt so bad about it that he paid to have the regulator replaced. The check engine light came on the next week and when I tightened the gas cap, it went off. My wife is gonna have to remember that one.

We took it on a road trip last weekend and it drove and rode real well. We go camping this weekend so I get to test out some of it's capabilities. All in all, I think I'm going to like this Jeep.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Russ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.