2001 GC misfire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2001 GC misfire

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 10-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
jpoleto

Wj 2001 GC misfire

While driving on the highway, my 2001 grand cherokee laredo started to shake and shudder. I pulled the codes and it came up with a P0302 error, which I looked up and found to be a 2nd cylinder misfire.
I got the jeep used in 2004, and had not changed any of the spark plugs. It has 164,000 miles on it, so I figured it was probably just a faulty plug. I changed all 6 out for new ones, and the 2nd cylinder plug was pretty beaten up.
Here's the problem: The engine still misfires. It seems to be the worst when the engine is at about 1800rpm, so it's possible to avoid violently shaking the car, but going uphill at high speeds seems to strain the engine.
The oil level and engine temp are fine, as is the oil pressure. I'd like to figure out what's wrong without having to take it in to the shop. I'm thinking it could be something in the fuel line, or something with the coil over the 2nd cylinder.

Anyone have experience fixing this problem?
-John

jpoleto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

possibly the coil. Thats my bet

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
inlinegrand6
2001 WJ 

V8 or 4.0 , if its a v8 do a coil swap if the misfires change to a different cylinder its the coil pack. 4.0 try to test with a different rail if available or buy a new one. post if problem exists thanks
inlinegrand6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
Kramer H
Built and Supercharged 47

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinegrand6 View Post
V8 or 4.0 , if its a v8 do a coil swap if the misfires change to a different cylinder its the coil pack. 4.0 try to test with a different rail if available or buy a new one. post if problem exists thanks
he said all six plugs, so im hoping that means he has a 4 liter, if not i think i found his misfire its more than likely a coil pack, but too bad for you 4liter guys, its all on one rail. us 4.7's are individual.
K8 GSXR 1000- Racefit,Comp Werks,Puig,Woodcraft,B2 Industries,55W HID'S, R&G Engineering, Two brothers, ASV, DDM, "The pantie dropper"
Kramer H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
jpoleto

It's a 4 liter, so all 6 coils are on the rail.... which is why i was hoping it wasn't a coil haha.. I'm not familiar with the jeep COP system, is there a way i can check the coils with a multimeter? I'd rather know that it's a coil before taking the whole rail out, that thing sits under both radiator lines and a mess of other stuff.
jpoleto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.