2001 4.0, tick/knock mostly when cold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2001 4.0, tick/knock mostly when cold

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
camosilver

2001 4.0, tick/knock mostly when cold

i'm working on a 2001 grand cherokee 4.0 with 125k miles, and it has a ticking/knocking noise in the engine, mostly when it's cold. it's much less noticeable after the truck has warmed up. it's not overwhelmingly loud like a rod knock, but it doesn't sound like it's coming from the top end either.

i know these questions are very hard to answer over the internet without hearing the truck run, but i'm trying to get an idea of some possible things to look at. when i took it to my mechanic today, it was already warmed up so he had a hard time hearing anything, although he did agree that there was a slight noise. he had his stethoscope out and could not pin point the noise to one area. we took the serp belt off and determined there was no noise in the pullys anywhere. he was thinking maybe a timing chain noise (like too much slack in the chain or something like that), but maybe not since it seems to almost go away when warm. not completely away but enough that you probably wouldn't notice it.

a few days ago i ran some gunk motor flush through the engine and changed the oil to penzoil platinum synthetic because it is supposed to have more detergents in the oil than most other oils, so hopefully this will help clean out the engine a bit if any of the passageways are clogged. it still had the same noise on a cold start and after warming up after doing the flush and changing the oil though.

so, keeping in mind that the noise quiets down a lot once the engine has warmed up, what are some things we should be looking at here? are there any TSB's on this issue?

camosilver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

If you do a search on here for cold start tick, you will have more than enough info
chrism1367 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.