2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Select trac I 6 Battery Cable Terminal Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Select trac I 6 Battery Cable Terminal Problem

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-06-2010, 03:46 AM   #1
chesapeake
2000 WJ 

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Select trac I 6 Battery Cable Terminal Problem

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Select trac I 6 was running Great until I installed new Battery and terminal ends on the original cable. the original terminals were banged up and cracked through the lead. I replaced them with gold terminals 4 gauge duel cable holes on terminal they have an allen wrench screw down connections. after I changed all this and try too start I get nothing no turn over on the starter. when the key is on position all power options work Head lights work. when I turn key too start position my radio light goes out and no start. I thought its a connection problem or corrosion so I cleaned all connections on the wire too starter alternator grounds with battery terminal cleaner and a tooth brush and still no start its been over a month now and I cant drive I m stranded and lost my job due too this jeep. I also used a pair of lead norm universal terminals braided the 2 positive and 2 negative terminals together and tried that and same thing no start and radio light blinks rapidly. I tried moving around the shifter too see if the neutral safety switch was stuck or broke tried starting in neutral same thing dead dead dead. My 2 questions are do the terminal wires the 4 gauge dual wire do you have too replace with the same dual input terminal? and when I was cutting the original terminal off I noticed this terminal is formed over the 2 cables for a real good connection even my broke up damaged original terminals would start the jeep. Do I need that good of a connection for the I 6 motor too start I m really desperate for help and I have done everything I know and I cant go with out a vehicle for another day any help if you have had this problem would greatly be appreciated Thank you for the help

chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
rebuilder02
2002 WJ 

Obviously check battery first. Use a known good fully charged battery
Recheck all wiring that you fixed or may have inadvertently messed with. A tight clean mechanical connection equals good electrical connection.
Check Starter relay found in the PDC (Power Distribution Center in engine compartment passenger side front)
Check starter/solenoid.
Park/Neutral switch as you've already mentioned.
Can you pull any codes? Stored or Pending.

Has the battery been run down, charged in place, jumped by another vehicle since you did cable repairs?
These Chrysler PCM's are so sensitive to voltage/current changes that happen when batteries are run all the way down or sometimes when being jumped off. Even some batteries that seem to turn over the engine may cause problems if a cell is marginal and start voltage is not quite there. Killing PCM's often happens after battery problems particularly after batteries being run down all the way and jumping off. However, I don't think a bad PCM will cause the starter to not turn over but not 100% sure.

I remember one time when I swapped a head and put it back together that I had a no start situation. I finally pulled starter and left it hanging by cables, turned ignition and it spun, then put it back on and it fired right up. Not sure what that problem was....maybe the solenoid was stuck or something..... but worth a try if all else fails.
(02 Blue WJ 4x4 4.7L Laredo project 147K) (01 Blue WJ 4x4 4.0L Laredo 38K on engine/tranny... wife's) (99 Black WJ 4.0L Laredo Project 38K needs engine/tranny) (00 Red WJ 4x4 4.7L Limited project 200K) (97 Grey ZJ 4x4 5.2L Orvis project 200K) (97 White ZJ 5.2L Limited project 125K) (98 Green ZJ Limited crashed parts vehicle 195K) (97 Grey ZJ 5.2L Laredo 130K) (& with great fondness....Ole Yeller....my 89 Yellow Grand Wagoneer....dearly departed) Snellville, GA
rebuilder02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.