2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Cranks but wont stay running.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Cranks but wont stay running..

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Jeepgirl013
2000 WJ 

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Cranks but wont stay running..

Alright guys, heres the deal, I'm a girl in this ismy first jeep, im trying to teach myself how to fix it's problems and be able to do everything for it on my own..
BUT this is just one thing i just cant seem to figure out, and everyone i asks is really of no help... My jeep is having ALOT of problems starting.. It will crank but not continue to run.. I have to put dry gas in it for it to start and sometimes that doesnt even help. Other times i have to keep my foot on the gas and never let it idle or it just shuts right off.. Sometimes if i rev it long enough it will shut off again but the next time i start it will stay running.. Dry gas seems to be the only thing that helps, and that still doesnt let it start.. Im really stumped and would love some input. Whatever it is i would like to do it myself or learn to do myself, but if its something it needs to go to the shop for then so be it. Thanks Everyone!!(:

Jeepgirl013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep Girl first congrats on your Jeep ad your willingness to learn. First off I guess You have no Cel light on? From your post it sounds like a fuel related issue. A good place to start is buy testing your fuel pressure with a gauge there are no short cuts to testing fuel pressure. You should be able to find an auto parts store to borrow one from with a refundable deposit. You will then attach the gauge to what is called a scharader valve which is a valve located toward the front of the fuel rail and should have a plastic cap over it. Crank the engine over until the gauge reaches it's highest point the spec is 49 psi +or-5 psi.
One thing that just came to mind is to first check your Fuel pump relay located In the Power distribution box [PDC] located on the passenger side fender well there is a label underneath the cover and all of the relays are the same so you can use one of the others just do not use the ASD relay. Keep us up to date on what your findings are. There are several other things that can cause a no start fuel problem but swapping the relay and FP test are simple and cost nothing but a little time. One other thing I Just caught is you have a Grand Cherokee so you might try posting in that section .But my suggestions apply to your Grand as long as it is a 4.0 engine

Last edited by buildin1XJ; 04-17-2013 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: More info
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.