2000 grand wont stay running right - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 grand wont stay running right

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
doc538
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Unhappy 2000 grand wont stay running right

My 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 is causing me major grief for my wanting to sell it. I have Two, one maxed with options and 149k. The other ( this one) is a plain Jane with 250 k and some heavy rusting on the undercarriage. I have only owned it for 2 years so last in first out (besides the other ride is my wifes )

So my son had it in the driveway to clean it out and shine her up for selling, also repaired a minor problem with the exhaust, he then moved it to the front lawn. I later went out with the signs and my camera to take pictures, I went to start it up so I could get a nice shot of the odometer and other gauges and the darn thing sputtered and spat at 500 rpm then quit.

I fired it back up (took a long time) sputtering and spitting , gauges not moving. fed it more fuel and it sputtered harder and the odometer started flashing. Since then I have 1. replaced the crank sensor with a new one. 2. replaced the cam sensor with a good used one. 3. replaced the map and throttle sensors with known good ones. 4. Tested fuel line pressure (50lbs). Cleaned battery terminals, main grounds, pcm (pcu?) harness. one on firewall passenger side.

Oh and there are no codes

I am at a total loss Any help would be appreciated as I cant just go replacing parts (very fixed income) and I need to sell this truck asap for a decent amount and it is starting to get very cold for working outdoors.
Thanks

doc538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
doc538
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Update: I tried a few things that I read on the forum..Believe me I spent quality time searching before actually making a post. Anyway We tried disconnecting all but the map sensors. no change. Swapped out the entire throttle body with my wife's. no change. I put the old one in my wife's car and it is running fine. Looked for massive vacuum leak . Nothing. checked all the connectors and harnesses under the hood. fine.
I thought maybe a timing chain issue. Pulled the plugs (covered in soot) did a compression test. 150lbs across the board. Now I am thinking of swapping my wife's computer that's on the firewall with mine, question is, do I have to have any programming done first or can I just pop it in to test?
Unread 11-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
narnwv

2000 WJ 

DO NOT SWAP COMPUTERS! They're VIN + Mileage programmed, and sync up with the other computers.

Did your son clean the engine compartment? Spray water in there?

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

^ Agreed.

Does the fuel gauge and battery gauge move when you turn the ignition to the run position?

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
doc538
2000 XJ Cherokee 

No my son only vacuumed the carpets and wiped down the dash, things he has done hundreds of times before, he is mid 30's and a pretty good mechanic.

* I didn't check with it in the run position but while it was sputtering, The Battery gauge does not move, oil gauge goes over to 80 but always did, fuel gauge seems right on, check gauges light is on. no codes.

*I am thinking it might be the same running or not will check again after we put it back together.

I thought the main computer in the cabin stored the vin and mileage and the ones under the hood controlled engine performance?

Other than changing them, are there test you can run to insure signals are being sent from the crank and cam sensors? It sure feels like a timing issue not a fuel issue but compression test rules out jumped cam timing but not distributer/cam sensor. I am going to pull it to check for broken teeth, haven't read about this being a problem though.

Thanks for the replies
Unread 11-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
new2site
2002 WJ 

If the battery's on the low side it will do this.... these PCM's demand near perfect voltage.... take battery out of other WJ and put in this one and see what happens.

Mine would sputter at start-ups when my battery was a bit low.
The fact that you got it going and it still sputtered could be the PCM acting buggy because of the poor start-up power...(I had to RESET my PCM to get it to restart ..until I figured out my battery was a bit on the low side thus resolving problem.)
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc538 View Post
I thought the main computer in the cabin stored the vin and mileage and the ones under the hood controlled engine performance?
The mileage is stored in the ECU+TCM (PCM for 4.0), and the gauge cluster. The VIN is stored in all of them plus the BCM, and the SKIM programming is in the BCM + PCM. It all has to match.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
doc538
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
The mileage is stored in the ECU+TCM (PCM for 4.0), and the gauge cluster. The VIN is stored in all of them plus the BCM, and the SKIM programming is in the BCM + PCM. It all has to match.
will this stop me from using it as a test ? if so how do you replace them? send it out to a dealer have it programmed and then install it? Sorry if I sound stupid but I have replaced computers on other cars and just dropped them in and drove away.

Quote:
If the battery's on the low side it will do this.... these PCM's demand near perfect voltage.... take battery out of other WJ and put in this one and see what happens.
The Battery was just fine, good voltage and cranking speed.

This is a frackin nightmare, I bet if I reregistered it and put on a set of plates the bugger would start up..

One good thing came out of this, after swapping throttle bodies, my wife's jeep still had the high idle (1400 rpm) speed when warmed up problem. I was going to recheck the AIC valve but instead knowing I had a good body and sensors I went and checked for vacuum leaks, only to find 3 loose intake bolts at the rear of the engine. I had sprayed carb cleaner along the intake manifold to check for a change in engine speed. Worked like a charm.

Please : any more idea's on my jeep would be appreciated.
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Typically when the ECM is DOA, the fuel and battery gauges won't provide any reading. Given that your vehicle somewhat running, it sounds like the ECM is at least partially functioning. However, I agree with new2site (and trust me, that doesn't happen often), before going down the road to ECM replacement, check, clean and verify all your ground and power cables. WJ's, and Chrysler products in general, are prone to some goofy issues when not properly grounded or the power cables have corrosion. On the power cable in particular I would recommend breaking out the volt meter and checking resistance, since corrosion can build up under the cable sheathing even though the terminal is clean.

Don't forget, there's a ground strap between the transmission mount and exhaust on the underside of the vehicle as well.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.