2000 grand cherokee WJ, coupe issues. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 grand cherokee WJ, coupe issues.

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Cadoc08
2000 WJ 

2000 grand cherokee WJ, coupe issues.

Hi there. I'm new to the forum and this is my first Jeep. So far I'm loving it, depsite the fact I've had to make a few repairs. It's nice to be able to get out into the mountains without having to barrow my brothers truck.

Ok, first issue: There's a whine coming from my rear end. It's noticable even at low speeds, and increases just slightly with speed. Doesn't seem to be brought on by any kind of conditions, it just does it every time I go anywhere. I called and asked the dealership and they "informed" me that this was normal on the all time four wheel drive models. They didn't sound very confident so I thought I'd ask if anyone else has experienced this and what they did about it.

I did check the fluid level earlier today, it was a tad low, nothing major, but I brought it up a little anyway but it didn't seem to make a difference.

My second issue kinda involves the first in a weird way.

By the way the dealership said this was normal too.

I know I need an alignment, it pulls to the right, vibrates at freeway speeds, and has some uneven tire wear. But what I'm experiencing is a little strange to me. At idle in drive, if I just let off the brake and let it go with no throttle it will move forward, but it... Wobbles, I guess you would say. I think the best way to describe it is that it feels like one of my tires is slightly egg shaped. And the whole rig will rock back and forth a little, not violently, but it doesn't seem normal in any way to me.

Here's the kicker, when it does this wobble, the volume of the whining noise seems to fluctuate in perfect unison with the wobble.

So has anyone experienced these problems either together or seperately? Could it all be my alignment and tires? Is this all "normal" operation? Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

Cadoc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
thestig_wj
2000 WJ 

My guess is the whine and wobble is from a bent axle shaft....maybe? and uneven tire wear is bad tie rod ends
thestig_wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Cadoc08
2000 WJ 

I suppose it could be. I sure hope it isn't, but I guess that'll be one thing to look into. I would think I would be seeing some leakage at one of my wheel ends with that though. Hmmm, I've been wrong before. If all else fails I'm gonna rebuild the rig as soon as I can so I guess we'll see. Thanks for the advice. Anyone else have any ideas?
Unread 02-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
zeekracing
2006 TJ Wrangler 

these wjs have issues with the rear end gear wearing bad. Even with low miles. My rear started whining at 80k. It has 193k on it now still going strong but I am easy on it. I just put tires on it that whined louder then the rear. Problem fixed, haha. The vibe could be cause the tires are wore funny. Do you feel the vibe in the steering wheel or just in the vehicle?
Unread 02-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Redrum_1
2000 WJ 

Your wobble back and forth sounds like one of your tires has a belt that has shifted. That alone would cause vibrations at highway speeds. Both of my differentials make the whining noise. They been doing that now since I bought the Jeep. 30K later they sound the same. Once a tire starts wearing uneven its almost impossible to make it wear straight again. And it too could be some of your vibration also.

Good Luck!
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab. 5.7L Hemi 6 speed automatic 3:55 gears LSD with 20 inch rubber
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L
2003 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast Model 6 speed manual
2002 Audi A6 Avant Quattro 3.0L Auto
Redrum_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
hyperlightboard
2002 WJ 

I agree with redrum broken belt/ply separation. Pretty easy to see if the jeep is off the ground. You said it is shaking so bring it in for a rotate and balance and tell them to look for ply separation when they do it....
Unread 02-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Cadoc08
2000 WJ 

Thanks guys. Sounds like an alignment and some new tires are in order. It has 220K miles on it and I'm assuming the whine has been there for awhile, and it sounds like it hasn't caused a severe problem on your vehicles so I'm not gonna worry about it too aweful much... Untill my diff explodes that is. It's more annoying than anything. Yes, the vibration is felt in the steering wheel and only slightly felt elsewhere, most of my passengers think I'm crazy if I ask them if they feel the vibration, but they always comment on the wobble. My brother said he likes it because it makes him feel like he's going down the logging roads even though he's in a parking lot... Kids these days.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.