2000 grand cherokee mpg issues i6 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 grand cherokee mpg issues i6

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattwj123 View Post
my work is like a mile away and i go there every day and also to friends house that are a few miles away and have to fill up every week
On a one mile trip, the Jeep may not even reach full operating temp. If that's the case, then a good bit of your driving is done with the engine cold and running rich while it attempts to warm up. That's going to take a massive toll on the mileage of any vehicle.

2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattwj123
my work is like a mile away and i go there every day and also to friends house that are a few miles away and have to fill up every week
This is definitely a huge contribution to your bad mileage.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #18
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

okay so what kind of spark plugs should i buy at the store and what else can i do
wyattwj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattwj123 View Post
okay so what kind of spark plugs should i buy at the store and what else can i do
Champion copper. Do a tune up, make sure your tires are properly inflated. You can spend thousands of dollars improving gas mileage, but you will never make back the money you've saved.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Unread 04-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #20
nlynd1978
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
On a one mile trip, the Jeep may not even reach full operating temp. If that's the case, then a good bit of your driving is done with the engine cold and running rich while it attempts to warm up. That's going to take a massive toll on the mileage of any vehicle.
^^^^^^^

also thumbs up on the nitrogen coments

its the most rediculous thing i have ever heard of, your buying something that with your own tire inflation device, you can put in your tires all the time for free, and yet people pay for it??

Looking for help- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/completely-turns-off-while-driving-no-codes-1049268/
nlynd1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #21
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlynd1978 View Post
^^^^^^^

also thumbs up on the nitrogen coments

its the most rediculous thing i have ever heard of, your buying something that with your own tire inflation device, you can put in your tires all the time for free, and yet people pay for it??
Like selling bottled salt water on the beach.

Unread 04-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #22
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

alright how do install spark plugs or should i bring it some where
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #23
WJlover
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
Like selling bottled salt water on the beach.
or just bottled water in general
i think that was frances idea, trying to get one over on us dumb americans.

anyways sparkplugs are easy. especially on the I6 because the engine bays so much cleaner than a v8

if i remember, i may be mixing different vehicles together here (ive had quite a bit) BEFORE DOING ANYTHING. make sure you mark where each wire came from on the engine. you want them to plug into the same area. and dont forget to gap the new plugs. most autostores will do it for you, but id recommend getting the gap out of the owners manual, borrow their gap tool, nd doing it yourself. unless you trust the guy at the counter.
you have a cap and rotor. look for the circular cap with 7 wires coming out of it.
follow them to your spark plugs. now just yank them out (the back ones can be a pain, not much room back there) now very carefully, thread the new plugs in. i say careful because you dont want to cross thread them, or ding up the prong.
use a plug grease on them, and plug the wires back in! simple as that.

and ill reitterate, make sure the plugs go where they came from. i prefer to do them one at a time so theres no mix ups. unplug, install, plug in. move to next, same thing.
good luck bro!

and like i said earlier, be careful with stuck wires. if you tear it, your going to be buying another, and typically they dont come cheap.
WJlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #24
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

No wires on the WJ. One ignition coil that sits across all six plugs, so it's impossible to switch the firing order around. The 4.0 WJ is probably one of the single easiest vehicles to replace plugs on, up there with I-4 japanese engines.

Plugs will have to be gapped at .035". Anti-seize on the threads, and dielectric grease on the top at the coil connection never hurts.

Unread 04-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #25
WJlover
1999 WJ 

well good thing i didnt opt for a 4.0 then.
had the 4.0 on my zj and loved it, guess nothing ever stays the same
well disregard about half of what i said then. anything involving wires
WJlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #26
gordon
2003 WJ 

Check ALL of the Vacuum lines under the hood, replace all perished lines, make sure everything is sealed up.

Change your fuel filter.
Unread 04-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #27
rlordjr
2004 WJ 

I have very similar profile. Work is one mile away but do 22 mile carpool run 2 or 3 days a week. I6, 4WD, 102k. Was getting 14mpg for months. Spent an hour or so in 4LO last weekend and now am getting 16mpg in town and 21-22 on the HWY! Guess something got freed up in the transfer cases.?!?
rlordjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #28
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
alright how do install spark plugs or should i bring it some where
If you can follow instructions you can change your plugs... Otherwise just take it somewhere.

http://wjjeeps.com/service/sparkplugs.htm
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #29
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

replace the spark plug cant really tell a diffrence but didnt really expect too lol but i already replaced my fuel filter cleaned the air filter went wheeling a little today
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #30
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
replace the spark plug cant really tell a diffrence but didnt really expect too lol but i already replaced my fuel filter cleaned the air filter went wheeling a little today
Wheeling will also kill your mileage, just a little FYI. Let us know what your next tank looks like, I'm curious what was causing it. If that stuff doesn't fix it, you gonna do the O2 sensors next?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.