2000 grand cherokee mpg issues i6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 grand cherokee mpg issues i6

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 04-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

2000 grand cherokee mpg issues i6

hey ive had my jeep for about 4 months got the I6 and it runs great and all but my mpg is horrible like 10 mpg and i have to fill it up alot and i dont have any leaks and my computer says 200 miles to empty everytime i fill it up and i replaced my fuel filter today and sea foamed it and now it says 260 miles to empty im very shocked haha i dont really trust the computer but how can i fix my gas mileage theres something wrong thank you

wyattwj123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Sohcvtec1995
2001 WJ 

leave it in the driveway, buy a prius.

When was the last tune up? tire pressure? anything dragging. what else have tried/done?
Sohcvtec1995 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

For future reference, you might wanna try out this revolutionary tactic of punctuating your sentences.

Now to get to the issue. Is this a new issue, as in you've been getting better mileage and all of the sudden it plummeted, or have you always been getting extremely low mileage?

Ignore the computer completely, its useless. Get your MPG calculations by hand, as its the only reliable way to find out what you're actually getting. Is the 10mpg by hand or by EVIC (the computer)?

How many miles are you sitting on? Have you kept up with maintenance (mainly the O2 sensors is what I'm getting at here)? Do you drive like a pissed off teenager? That will have the most effect is just how you drive it.

Since you just replaced the filter today, I would fill the tank tonight and then again in a couple days from now to actually find out what mileage you're getting. Do it by hand. In case you don't know how to do so:

1: Fill tank completely
2: Reset trip odometer
3. Go about your business for a couple days
4. Refill tank completely again
5. Divide number of miles driven (from your trip odometer) by number of gallons put in, boom there you go.
6. Rinse, lather, repeat.
mycreativename is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
WJlover
1999 WJ 

replace air filter or upgrade air intake.
keep tires at proper pressure.
COAST to a stop, dont stop short. if you see a red light coming, just let off the gas and coast as long as you can before you need to brake, but GRADUALLY brake. i see all these fools braking super hard at redlights all the time.

when taking off from a red light, dont SPEED, but get to the highest gear possible, as fast as possible...without being a danger to the other drivers.
on that note, always try to drive in your highest gear.

do a real fuel system cleaning. sea foam is great for what you pay, but a real system cleaning is what you need.
just...dont do it at jiffy lube. i dont trust anything they do.

use the oil the manufacturer recommends.

use cruise control at all given oppurtunities.

decrease vehicle weight where possible.

change spark plugs (i hear e3 works good, but i also hear their gimmicky)

fuel pump

buy lighter wheels

use nitorgen in your tires instead of air

thats all i got right now, i know im missing something
WJlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

i bought it not too long ago, and it has always got bad mpg and my tank is full of right now and im in the process of calculating it. nothings dragging i havnt checked my tires yet but. im thinking about installing new spark plugs how much would they run me and could i install them myself
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
WJlover
1999 WJ 

not sure how much e3 costs but alot of people swear by the cheap ones at autozone/walmart
think their like 4 bucks a piece? or am i time traveling right now.
and on the i6 their pretty easy to do yourself, just becareful. they can get stuck sometimes and your going to probably get angry with it, and pull at it with channel locks and tear the boot and or wire....
patience is key, which is what i dont have.

anyways, spark plugs can be either really cheap or really expensive, just depends on if you want gimmick or economic.
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

oh ok thats not expensive what about 02 sensors
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJlover View Post
not sure how much e3 costs but alot of people swear by the cheap ones at autozone/walmart
think their like 4 bucks a piece? or am i time traveling right now.
and on the i6 their pretty easy to do yourself, just becareful. they can get stuck sometimes and your going to probably get angry with it, and pull at it with channel locks and tear the boot and or wire....
patience is key, which is what i dont have.

anyways, spark plugs can be either really cheap or really expensive, just depends on if you want gimmick or economic.
NEVER use the E3 plugs in the WJ! You WILL get all sorts of misfires and possibly burn out the ignition coil. OEM champion copper core (or NGK for the few that had those OEM) is the way to go. Gimmicks will never pay off, especially on spark plugs.

Same goes for the nitrogen tire fills. The nitrogen won't cause any damage like the E3 plugs will, but you may as well just throw 40 bucks in the garbage disposal.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
WJlover
1999 WJ 

it was ages ago last time i bought one, but i want to say it was around 100 bucks? not 100% sure
as for installation, never had to do one myself. but shouldnt be hard.
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
WJlover
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
NEVER use the E3 plugs in the WJ! You WILL get all sorts of misfires and possibly burn out the ignition coil. OEM champion copper core (or NGK for the few that had those OEM) is the way to go. Gimmicks will never pay off, especially on spark plugs.

Same goes for the nitrogen tire fills. The nitrogen won't cause any damage like the E3 plugs will, but you may as well just throw 40 bucks in the garbage disposal.
the nitro was free for me, and i believe free for the life of my tires as well.
but yes its expensive for a very small effect.
if your getting it free, then why not
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
nlynd1978
2001 WJ 

first and foremost, assuming your referring to the jeep in your profile, lets start with the obvious,

1. how many miles on the motor?
2. what size are your tires? stock size or over-sized?
3. check engine light? and history codes?
4. What did the previous owner say about the maintenance? did you ask for records?

Looking for help- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/completely-turns-off-while-driving-no-codes-1049268/
nlynd1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

E3 spark plugs are a complete and total gimmick and waste, you'll create all sorts of problems with them. Go look through your local auto parts store's flyers, one of them is always running a special on spark plugs. You're looking for Champion Coppers. DO NOT let them upsell you on them, you want the plain jane copper plugs.

Don't waste your money on Nitrogen in your tires or on any sort of upgrades right now. In factory stock form, which means normal air in tires on OEM wheels, normal air box, etc, you should be getting at least 15mpg if not more.

Also, it just occurred to me to ask. What are your trips like? Aka how far from school/work/etc are you. Are your trips very short and non highway based? My girlfriend's 4 banger VW Beetle was rockin along at 10mpg for the summer because she was driving less than a mile at a time; the engine never had time to warm up and she never really took it above 30, it was all stop and go traffic. That could definitely affect your mileage in a big way. I notice when I don't drive to school (~25 miles round trip all highway) my mileage will be significantly lower the next time I fill up.
mycreativename is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

108000 miles stock tires no lights or codes and no previous records
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #14
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

my work is like a mile away and i go there every day and also to friends house that are a few miles away and have to fill up every week
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJlover View Post
the nitro was free for me, and i believe free for the life of my tires as well.
but yes its expensive for a very small effect.
if your getting it free, then why not
If it's free, then yeah, go for it. Otherwise you're spending an awful lot of money to "upgrade" from the 78% concentration of nitrogen already in the atmosphere to a roughly 98% concentration after combining pure nitrogen with the volume of atmospheric air already in the tire at a pressure of one atmosphere.

There's really no discernible difference between a mixture of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% argon/other crap and 98% nitrogen, 1.9% oxygen, and .1% argon/other crap, as far as tire life and performance are concerned. The benefits of regularly checking and maintaining the proper tire pressure with normal air will far exceed those of using a nitrogen fill.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.