2000 Grand Cherokee front driveshaft issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 Grand Cherokee front driveshaft issues

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
ncmedic964

2000 Grand Cherokee front driveshaft issues

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L v8 Quadra-Trac all time 4wd with a bad front drive shaft. The style shaft that is in mine has the CV style joints both front and rear. I purchased a new shaft from eBay but was not aware that those come in different lengths the shaft that I purchased is approx. 1.5 inches longer than my old shaft. I need to know if anyone has one of these available as I have looked EVERYWHERE and cannot find the right shaft. Also, I have heard that those can be converted to a U-joint style but I am not aware of what I would need to buy to do this conversion or where to find the parts. If anyone could help me out that would be fantastic thank you so much.

P.S. I have found these on eBay in the range of 300.00 but I am desperately trying to keep from needing to spend that amount. Thanks again.

ncmedic964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Thats really weird the length is different because the lengths should all be the same for the front drive shaft 1999-2004 no matter which t-case you have.

To convert to the u-joint style (highly recommended around here, required if you offroad) you also need the yokes, but there is a special torquing sequence for the yoke that goes into the axle, so you would need a shop to do thjat part. Also replace the pinion seal while you're at it.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post
Thats really weird the length is different because the lengths should all be the same for the front drive shaft 1999-2004 no matter which t-case you have.

To convert to the u-joint style (highly recommended around here, required if you offroad) you also need the yokes, but there is a special torquing sequence for the yoke that goes into the axle, so you would need a shop to do thjat part. Also replace the pinion seal while you're at it.
The front driveshaft lengths are different depending on the T-Case.

IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: Front Driveshaft Conversion Kit

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

ahh well carolina told me that it wouldnt matter. I told them I had a 247 at the time, and that I was switching to a 242.

I remember measuring some t-cases I had and IIRC they had the same measurements.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post
ahh well carolina told me that it wouldnt matter. I told them I had a 247 at the time, and that I was switching to a 242.

I remember measuring some t-cases I had and IIRC they had the same measurements.
Hmmmm, weird. At IRO they are different lengths for different T-Cases. Same yokes though.

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.