Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2000 Grand Cherokee 4.7L Throttle body whistle

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  86cj74.2L 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

A couple months ago I started hearing a slight whistle under the hood when i hit the throttle. It goes away when the throttle is held at a steady pace. Today I decided to try to track it down and read quite a few posts on the forums but none of the other whistling threads seem to be like mine. I used a water mister around all my vacuum lines and didn't find any leaks. It seems mine is coming from the crescent moon shaped portion at the bottom of the throttle body face, just under the main air intake circle. I have tried carb cleaner but am not having any luck, any suggestions or has anyone had this issue before? Also, when i shut the jeeps engine down it sounds like air is being pushed back out of the throttle body making a pretty noticeable whoosh sound, is that normal?

Thanks,

Blake

#3 ·
I decided to pull the TB off and clean it as well as the IAC. That crescent moon shaped opening appears to be where the IAC gets its air. Things were really dirty and there was very noticable build up in the IAC port. After cleaning and re-assembly the whistle is still there, could the IAC be causing an issue like this?

Blake

#4 ·
blakesgst said:
I decided to pull the TB off and clean it as well as the IAC. That crescent moon shaped opening appears to be where the IAC gets its air. Things were really dirty and there was very noticable build up in the IAC port. After cleaning and re-assembly the whistle is still there, could the IAC be causing an issue like this? Blake
it's the sound of the engine trying to suck air through a small opening. It's normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.