2000 Cherokee door switch and window issues. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 Cherokee door switch and window issues.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 11-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
alexcantsleep

2000 Cherokee door switch and window issues.

Ok, I'm having a problem with my Jeep and figured this was the place to go, hopefully someone has had a similar problem to mine. I did a search and didn't come up with anything already, my sincerest apologies if this has been addressed before.

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ body) 4x4. I bought it from the original owner in January and its been a good car. Since Ive had it, my power locks, windows and mirrors (essentially everything on the drivers door switch panel) could ever only be operated when the door was closed. I'm not sure if that is normal or not but I didnt think too much about it. Last Saturday we had a few cars get stuck in the mud behind our house so I grabbed a yank strap and figured Id see what it could do to get them out. At one point I backed up next to a stuck car, opened the door, hooked the strap up and got back in. The windows was down and the power window lock was engaged (We have a three year old) When I got in and closed the door the interior lights stayed on. So I tried the window... nothing, the other windows...nothing, power locks...nothing, mirrors...nothing. I tried opening and closing the door a few times. Nothing. I tried opening the pasenger door window with the passenger door window switch and nothing. Its like the truck thinks the door is open even though its closed. I figure the pin switch was broken or bent, but after giving it a pretty thorough look over it doesn't seem to have a pin switch anywhere. I was able to get the interior lights to turn off by closing the door and disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. And the other windows wont roll up and down either, like the window lock is still on on the drivers door. I checked all the usual things like fuses and relays. Everything else on the truck seems to be working just fine including the alarm and key fob functions. The key fob of course wont unlock or lock the drivers door but it can be locked manually from the outside.

I've been working on cars most of my life but a problem like this can really leave a guy grasping at straws. Anyone have any ideas or advice?

Much thanks in advance!

Alex!

alexcantsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 02:40 AM   #2
Mopargearhead
1997 ZJ 

Pull the dust boot that goes from the door to the door jamb and check for broken wires. The wires were too short from the factory and just normal opening and closing of the doors over the years will cause them to break. That will cause your issue of not being able to control any of the windows or door locks. If that's the case then just repair the broken wire(s) and make sure to leave a little extra slack int the wire so it doesn't occur again.
Mopargearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Falkon
2004 WJ 

What has been said. I don't know if this link will work. Search "Broken Wire Door".

Jeep & Off-Road Discussion Forum for every model plus Galleries, Reviews, Links, Parts & Articles. Jeep Wrangler Grand Cherokee Liberty CJ MJ XJ TJ YJ DJZJ WJ - Search Results for broken wire door
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Very well could be a wire in the boot as stated. What happens is when you open the door if a wire is broke it pulls apart cutting off the juice to it, when you close the door the wired could be touching again if they are broke, enabling the window to work.

Let us know how you make out.

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
alexcantsleep

Thanks!

Guys thanks for the advice so far, Im going to give that a shot tonight and see what happens?

So am I correct in assuming the controls should have been working when the door was open?

Alex!
Unread 11-04-2009, 01:23 AM   #6
alexcantsleep

Got it!

Guy, yall hit the nail right on the friggin head! I pulled the boot back and two wires where severed in two. Got them spliced back and Im back in business!

Thanks!

Alex!
Unread 01-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
tjude

Any advice on that boot?

I've been having the problem that the power windows won't work if the door is open. Also the drivers window has 2 problems - First, it travels up and stops three of four times before it closes all the way. Just replaced the regulator, but that wasn't it. Second, the down switch full-press stops halfway through the travel. I've got the Window switch apart, but it looks OK. Read your note and pulled back the boot. Sure enough, I see some cranked insulation and bare wire. Want to investigate a short but I can't get in there.

How do you separate that connector at the door?

Do you have to completely remove the harness to repair wires? If so, how do you do that?

Thanks for any guidance.
tjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
keohigrl
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopargearhead View Post
Pull the dust boot that goes from the door to the door jamb and check for broken wires. The wires were too short from the factory and just normal opening and closing of the doors over the years will cause them to break. That will cause your issue of not being able to control any of the windows or door locks. If that's the case then just repair the broken wire(s) and make sure to leave a little extra slack int the wire so it doesn't occur again.
Thanks for the tip. Checked everything else but no luck till I read your post. Sure enough, broken ground wires in both front doors. Windows, mirror, power lock all works fine.
keohigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcantsleep View Post
Guy, yall hit the nail right on the friggin head! I pulled the boot back and two wires where severed in two. Got them spliced back and Im back in business!

Thanks!

Alex!
Awesome, us Jeep guys gutta stick together...lol my wife drives the 04 I have a 97 ZJ. On my 04 she lost power to the doors last summer, it actually came unplugged from the harness. I couldn't tell that it was unplugged either until I started fiddling with the connections.

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
SrA_Jeepguy21

Same problem with added symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcantsleep View Post

Thanks!

Alex!
So I wil check this out today to see if that is my problem on the front windows. Also when I start my jeep, sometimes the rear left window rolls down automatically. It seems to only roll while I am cranking the engine. Also today mine acted like the door was open as well, lights would'nt turn off in the interior. However, with this I also lost all power to my instrument cluster and all the warning lights were on. I opened and closed the doors a few times and no luck, I shut the engine off and restarted and no luck, then I stopped to get a drink and came back out to the car started it and everything was fine. I love my jeep, but between the rear passenger door lock squealing, the rear liftgagte lock working intermittently, and these electrical gremlins it keeps me busy... Maybe the broken wires in the door will fix all my problems... We shal see.
SrA_Jeepguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
hamfam93
1999 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopargearhead View Post
I know that this thread is old, but it is still very true. My 1999 Grand Cherokee runs great, but all of a sudden my driver's window began to intermittently stop working. Closing the door a little harder than usual worked for awhile, but then other electrical issues began happening. The interior lights would stay on, the remote locks didn't work, and the overhead display showed the driver's door open, even though it wasn't. Oh and all of the windows and door locks stopped working. Well all of these signs mimic a famous Jeep Grand Cherokee problem. The internet is replete with people having those exact signs. A thread spoke about checking the PCI bus voltage and then checking different modules. My PCI bus voltage was in the correct range, so I thought that maybe my master window switch was bad. I searched the web for ways to diagnose that and luckily came across your threat.
Sorry for taking so much of your time, but you were a life safer. Several people on the web tell stories of how they took their Jeeps to the dealerships and spent literally $1000's only to have them say that they have no idea what was wrong. If you're interested you can follow this link to the thread that I spoke about. http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7811_102...tentMain;posts
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this thread. You were completely correct!
hamfam93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Everybody likes a visual.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
image-3508734553.jpg  
4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
tuglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

my windows are working when they want and so is the door lock remote, i would assume that it is possible the wire is not completely broke but is worn and losing connection, gonna have to take a look tomorrow night, hopefully it works because it would sure beat spending $100 at the dealer to have the BCM flashed
Unread 05-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

i checked all the wires and from what i can tell there are no broken wires, which i figured anyway since they work intermittently, also tried disconnecting the neg terminal for several minutes and that did not work, not the i figured it would, so i guess my next step is to test the PCI bus as described in the link posted above

my problems is the passenger side front and rear windows do not go up nor down, the passenger side mirror will not adjust, and when using the door remote, all doors will lock and unlock except for the driver's door, therefore when locking the doors the horn will not sound nor will the door lock, everything else seems to work as normal
Unread 06-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #15
tuglife
2004 WJ 

You'd be shocked at the strange things the Jeep will do because of the broken ground wire. If you think you checked it and it looked fine, check it again. Happens like clockwork on our WJs and causes all the strange symptoms mentioned here. Also it's the simplest so therefore the most likely culprit. PITA to repair but virtually free.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
image-3390727043.jpg  
4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
tuglife is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.