Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

$20 flip key mod

18K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  gtg413i 
#1 ·
I bought this ke fob from ebay for like $10. Then i swapped the guts from my remote into the ebay one. I had to modify it some so it was easy to push the buttons. Then i got my jeep key copied for $6. Now to use it for cranking, the sentry or sensor part has to be very close to the ignition. There is one phillips screw under the steering wheel. Remove that and zip tie the original key very close to the ignition. If you dont get it close it may not start or may cut off when driving. Enjoy. This works, but imho the new fob is heavy and doesnt do much to reduce the weight or size of the original fob and remote.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
was just looking at doing this yesterday, got any pics of the process?

#5 ·
No pics, but it is so easy they arent needed. Yes it's a pretty pointless mod, but now i feel cooler when i set my keys down on the table next to my buddies audi keys. Plus, if / when when i add the remote start, the bypass is already installed. Maybe the next project would be a proximity sensor unlock.

#9 ·
While cool I dont like the idea of defeating the passive security system by putting the transponder key right inside the column. Then someone really can just jam a screwdriver in there and start it.

#13 ·
If i did this and my Jeep was stolen then recovered....as soon as the insurance company realised how it was stolen they would not pay out for the resulting damage...so, errr...no thanks!:thumbsup:

#14 ·
alfaitalia said:
If i did this and my Jeep was stolen then recovered....as soon as the insurance company realised how it was stolen they would not pay out for the resulting damage...so, errr...no thanks!:thumbsup:
Agreed. Most insurance companies will say that defeating the security system makes you responsible for any damage. Most policies say something like "owners failure to secure property" is not covered...

#20 ·
I believe I stumbled across this at one point and found that you can buy just the little chip/transponder things from ebay, relatively cheap and just program one as long as you have two keys for your jeep. Would be easier/better than hacking a perfectly good key imo.

#18 ·
I've heard some instances where a jeep was stolen, but since the key was left in the vehicle (zip tied under dash) the insurance wouldn't cover it. People had this issue with remote starters mostly.

#22 ·
Have you tried this?

#23 ·
shockracer said:
Have you tried this?
Yes. I have done this. Just cut into the-plastic part of the key and remove the transponder chip. Irrc, looks like a very small cylinder. .sorry, i never posted an update, but once you put the transponder from your factory key into the flip key,i suggest a dab of superglue, otherwise the is a small amount of room for the transponder to move around.

#24 ·
Great, now I'll have to make a 3rd key and try this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.