2 codes - P1491 Fan Relay and P1683 Cruise Circuit - related problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2 codes - P1491 Fan Relay and P1683 Cruise Circuit - related problem?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Wj 2 codes - P1491 Fan Relay and P1683 Cruise Circuit - related problem?

Not my first rodeo with the P1491 cooling circuit fault. I've probably gone through 8+ fan relays over the 150k miles I've had my WJ for and 3 or 4 fan motors. Current fan relay is brand new - bought 2 off of eBay a while ago- first one lasted probably 2 years, second one, no go. Fan motor is less than a year old (replaced when I replaced radiator last June with a Griffin)
P1491 Rad Fan Control Relay Circuit An open or shorted condition detected in the radiator fan control relay control circuit. This includes PWM solid state relays.
I checked the fan by putting 12v to it and it hums nicely (I know, not the best test since some will work with 12v, but excess load kills relay anyway). Of note, the connector at the fan had a burnt conductor, so I eliminated plug by splicing wires. Also got a new plug for the fan relay - nothing burnt, but it was the original and figured it would be one thing I could rule out. Put the new relay in mentioned above - fan would not turn on with AC or at temp. I rigged the fan to run with the engine and it cooled things just fine. E-Fan only, no mechanical fan.

I'm also now getting P1683 cruise control circuit fault. My cruise hasn't worked for a long time - checked my vacuum hoses numerous times and never found a problem with them, but never had a code pop up and just lived without it.
P1683 SPD CtrL PWR Relay; or S/C 12V Driver Circuit An open or shorted condition detected in the speed control servo power control circuit.
I had been driving around with a small hole in my exhaust head pipe for a few weeks until i could replace the pipe (what a PITA). Likely unrelated, but it's the only work that I did/only change made.

Is there any way that these two codes are related? If I'm throwing parts at this, is there an order in which I should replace parts?

I figured I'll get another fan relay (with a warranty) and try that first. What else can I try (at wits end with this).

2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Clayton LA Front/Rear | IRO 3" Springs + 3/4" KOR | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos/Trackbar/Draglink & Tierod | Dual KOR Stabs | Spidertrax Spacers | 265/70R17 Duratrac's on JK 17's | Black Magic Brakes w/Centric Rotors | Akebono Calipers | Griffin Rad | K&N Drop in | Magnaflow Cat & Muffler shorty setup | Diehard Platinum (Odyssey) | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg-iPod | OEM Tow Hooks F/R
Cebby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
Cebby
2000 WJ 

For the record, I've had the P1491 twice, but have had to replace at least 8 fan relays. Time to add another one to the total. Turns out the fan relay I had that was new was bad out of the box. It was dirt cheap and an eBay special - got it so long ago, I've got no recourse. Got a new one at Napa today, plugged it in and it works fine.

Also replaced my starter (intermittent weak cranking) and PS high pressure hose (mine has leaked forever). Feeling pretty good about the ol' Jeep right now...(still need to swap motor mounts and replace oil pan/valve cover gaskets)

I'm going to clear my codes tomorrow and see if the Cruise code trips the CEL (I don't think it does). Can't get to JY until Friday to find another cruise solenoid.
2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Clayton LA Front/Rear | IRO 3" Springs + 3/4" KOR | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos/Trackbar/Draglink & Tierod | Dual KOR Stabs | Spidertrax Spacers | 265/70R17 Duratrac's on JK 17's | Black Magic Brakes w/Centric Rotors | Akebono Calipers | Griffin Rad | K&N Drop in | Magnaflow Cat & Muffler shorty setup | Diehard Platinum (Odyssey) | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg-iPod | OEM Tow Hooks F/R
Cebby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.