Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2.7crd re-mapping

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  alfaitalia 
#1 ·
hi anyone [especially in the uk] had a 2.7crd grand Cherokee ltd re-mapped ?
if so what difference / benefits has is made to the vehicle .
my vehicle is a 2003 grand Cherokee ltd 2.7crd

#2 ·
Well I went the other way and bought a tuning box....you get exactly the same results....if you buy a good bespoke one and not one of these cheap, one fits all eBay boxes. Power was a lot more but fuel consumption was the same ...or very slightly worse and I bought it based on the claimed improvement of mpg. I have a friend with a remap....felt and acted the same as my box with similar mpg. If you want power then they are great ...up from 161 to 206 bhp and (more importantly for towing caravans like I do) up from 295 to 354ft-lb of torque. Off road it made my mates HO feel flat as witches tit!.....lots more torque at far lower revs. He has more power but torque is king!

This is the one I had. https://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_an...20_kw_crtd2_diesel_tuning_box_chip_P1418.html

As far as mpg is concerned you will get responses from people on here with maps and boxes claiming to get more mpg than claimed....I tend to believe that you get nothing for nothing so if you use the extra power you have to burn more fuel. I think a lot just take the reading from the overhead display......but its miles out after a box/remap. The car ecu does not "know" that the box is injecting more fuel....the only way to make extra power on a diesel as effectively they are at full throttle all the time (no throttle flaps)......so gives a false reading. My evic was reading about 30 mpg before the box and about 44mpg after!! LOL. Reality was about the same or 1 to 1.5 mpg less.

As I said if you just want your Jeep to go faster then go for one or the other. To my mind the box has a couple of advantages....you can take it out should you need to for engine warranty work (or to stop your insurance man seeing it if you have to make a claim if you "forgot" to tell them about it!) or for the wife to drive...LOL....which means you can transfer to another CRD if you sell or write it off. Some will say that a remap is much more customised to your engine than a box. To that I would say that a good box is adjustable....like the one in the link. And a cheap remap without a rolling road test etc...which is most of them is just are general map for you motor anyway!

Good like if you go for it....no matter which way you jump!

PS Mine was a 2004 but same engine.

#4 ·
Obviously I meant driving its as I usually do....my usual commute etc the consumption was about the same or slightly worse....I bought it to save fuel in a country when you need a mortgage to fill you tank....it didn't. Yes you are quite right....use the extra power....as of course I did for the first few days...just to test it of course......and the mpg was bad....never measured it accurately but the evic figures halved! But the point is they claim it improved your mpg in normal driving and for some it might....but not me. As I usually get 28-30 plus mpg I drive pretty efficiently I guess so the box did not help. Maybe it would help more for those with a lead right foot! If it did improve the mpg for anyone I would be curious to know how on an engine with no throttle plate or ignition to alter(other that injector timing which is not altered) how consumption is improved by only altering the amount of fuel injected.

On a diesel engine....inject more fuel, get more power....up until the point the intake cant supply enough oxygen to burn it (when you start rolling coal as the youngens say!) with the unburnt fuel ...which it did start to do on heavy throttle on the highest box setting......simples.....am I missing something?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.