1999 WJ makes loud screeching when starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1999 WJ makes loud screeching when starting

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 10-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
eek142
1999 WJ 

1999 WJ makes loud screeching when starting

The starter on our WJ died a few years ago and I replaced it with a part from Advance Auto. Lately, it has been making a loud screeching noise right after it starts. It only lasts for a split second, like the starter is sticking.

The other day, it stalled while waiting at a traffic light. It wouldn't even turn over when I tried to get it going again. After a few minutes, I gave it one more shot and it started. Now I know conventional wisdom says the starter has nothing to do with keeping a car running, but could something have shorted and caused the car to stall? I really want to say this was caused by the starter.

eek142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
snoWJ
1999 WJ 

Check your battery terminals, both Neg and Pos. take them off and clean the tops and make sure the connection is firm and clean. I've had issues with starting in the past where it wouldn't turn over but I would wiggle the battery terminals and it would come back to life. If youre on the east coast like me (30 miles off shore on an island) you get a lot of corrosion from salty air and salted roads so just keep everything clean. Good luck!
snoWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.