1999 WJ key fob programming question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1999 WJ key fob programming question

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
Drum4x4885

1999 WJ key fob programming question

Hey guys my brother just got a 1999 Grand Cherokee and he just got a key fob for it for like $94 and now they want to charge him $60 just to program it! For my silverado it was like $60 bucks and they programmed it for free........is it true that to program his Jeep he's going to have to take it in and pay that charge? Please let me know. Thats guys, cool forum by the way, im sure ill be here more often now since he's got this truck.

-Ryan

Drum4x4885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
tbm5690
2001 WJ 

Yep the fob unfortunately has to be programmed at the dealer...the key can be done by you but they have to do the fob.
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

1. he got ripped off for the fob... ebay has them for around $10-20:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Parts-Ac...fxdZ1QQ_ptasZ1

2. He must go to the dealer unless by chance you have a spare DRB scan tool laying around your garage. But i doubt it because they cost a couple grand.

3. www.wjjeeps.com has more info on the subject:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm

oh and welcome to jeepforum!!!
Unread 05-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
mailforjon
2005 WK 

does anyone know if the WK key fob can be programmed for the WJ?

unlikely i figure, but worth asking.

-2005 WK 5.7 Limited [DD]
-1999 WJ 4.7 Limited [SOLD]
-1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited [SOLD]
-1996 ZJ 5.2 Laredo [SOLD]
-1994 ZJ 4.0 Laredo [SOLD]
-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
mailforjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
zpalffy
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

Found this on the web let me know if it works

Instructions

1. Enter your 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with your ignition key and your keyless entry remote.

2. Press and release the "Lock" button on your remote five times in quick succession, waiting about two seconds between each press.

3. Insert your key into the ignition and turn the key to the "Run" position. Wait for the car chimes to stop before continuing to the next step.

4. Press and hold the "Unlock" button on your remote for four seconds and then press the "Panic" button while continuing to hold the "Unlock" button.

5. Hold both buttons at the same time for one second, then release both buttons at the same time.

6. Wait for the car to chime, then simultaneously press and release the "Unlock" and "Lock" buttons on your remote.

7. Wait to hear the chime and turn the key in the ignition to the "Off" position to end the programming sequence and to start using your remote.

not sure if this will work but its worth a try

Read more: How to Program a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Remote Entry | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6552359_prog...#ixzz2J1iXFeOF
zpalffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailforjon View Post
does anyone know if the WK key fob can be programmed for the WJ?

unlikely i figure, but worth asking.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
nhcd538
2001 WJ 

Somebody try this....it could be ground breaking info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpalffy View Post
Instructions

1. Enter your 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with your ignition key and your keyless entry remote.

2. Press and release the "Lock" button on your remote five times in quick succession, waiting about two seconds between each press.

3. Insert your key into the ignition and turn the key to the "Run" position. Wait for the car chimes to stop before continuing to the next step.

4. Press and hold the "Unlock" button on your remote for four seconds and then press the "Panic" button while continuing to hold the "Unlock" button.

5. Hold both buttons at the same time for one second, then release both buttons at the same time.

6. Wait for the car to chime, then simultaneously press and release the "Unlock" and "Lock" buttons on your remote.

7. Wait to hear the chime and turn the key in the ignition to the "Off" position to end the programming sequence and to start using your remote.

Read more: How to Program a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Remote Entry | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6552359_prog...#ixzz2J1iXFeOF
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Save yourself the time and effort, unless you wanna make an epic fail video for youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcd538 View Post
Somebody try this....it could be ground breaking info.
Unread 01-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Do it. I need another one

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
dsodko
2002 WJ 

It is all part of Chrysler's anti-theft program. While at the dealer, get a Dumbie key made. If you lock your "factory" keys in the car (as I did) it is cheaper thay have a locksmith come out and charge an arm & leg to get you back in.
dsodko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpalffy View Post
Instructions

Thats a new one to me! AFAIK you have to have a DRB-III scan tool in order to program it and the dealership should charge .5 hours for it. Honestly you can program the stupid thing in less than 5 minutes but they charge by the half hour.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
new2site
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
Save yourself the time and effort, unless you wanna make an epic fail video for youtube.
Epic Fail achieved ...stay tuned for youtube link...
enjoy...

Off to locksmith to lighten my wallet..
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #13
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

8. Turn the key in the ignition to the "On" position and bark like a dog three times then turn the key in the ignition to the "Off" position.

9. Exit your 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with your ignition key and your keyless entry remote and round around it six times clockwise.

10. Repeat steps 1-9 two more times until programming sequence is finished.
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #14
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

If that's really the sequence, I'd rather just pay a dealer to do it. Lmao
elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
new2site
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
8. Turn the key in the ignition to the "On" position and bark like a dog three times then turn the key in the ignition to the "Off" position.

9. Exit your 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with your ignition key and your keyless entry remote and round around it six times clockwise.

10. Repeat steps 1-9 two more times until programming sequence is finished.
I KNEW I must have left something out! Thanks MG!
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.