1999 WJ Electronic Cooling Fan Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1999 WJ Electronic Cooling Fan Question

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 07-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
gpmot
1999 WJ 

1999 WJ Electronic Cooling Fan Question

Hi, I have a electronic cooling fan on my Jeep as well as a mechanical fan. I have owned this Jeep for 6 months or so and have never heard the electronic fan come on. Does anyone know of a test i could do to verify that it works? I realize i could disconnect the plug and jump it to the battery but i really want to know if the sensor that tells it to come on is working. It's been super hot in my area lately and I'm concerned about overheating. I just put a radiator in it a few weeks ago cuz it sprang a leak and i'm thinking because that fan isn't working it could pop this one too...Any input will be helpful..Thanks

gpmot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

Turn the ac on and if its working it will come on.
chrism1367 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Brakeman62
2001 WJ 

Take a look at this for testing the relay. http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/jee...he-pwm-relay-1
Somewhere there is a test of the coolant temperature sensor on the thermostat housing.
Brakeman62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism1367 View Post
Turn the ac on and if its working it will come on.
^^ This. The electric fan should always run when the AC is on. If it doesn't, then you either have a bad fan relay, or a bad fan motor.

Direct connection of the fan motor to the battery is the way to diagnose which problem you have.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
gpmot
1999 WJ 

Well I did Confirm that the fan does work. Does not come on with ac on until temp gets to 210. It does not remain on when the vehicle is turned off like some other vehicles i have had did, however those vehicles did not have a mechanical fan also. Should it keep running with the vehicle off?

Last edited by gpmot; 07-20-2013 at 11:17 AM..
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmot View Post
Well I did Confirm that the fan does work. Does not come on with ac on until temp gets to 210. It does not remain on when the vehicle is turned off like some other vehicles i have had did, however those vehicles did not have a mechanical fan also. Should it keep running with the vehicle off?
No it doesn't run at all with the car off. I would replace the relay if it is not coming on when your jeep overheats without the ac on.
chrism1367 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
gpmot
1999 WJ 

Okay so i guess it's working as intended. When the jeep gets to operating temp with the AC on the fan comes on,thanks for all the great info everyone..
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
vickivictory101
2003 WJ 

I have a 1999 jeep grand Cherokee and I only have one fan but car has been perfectly fine with just one do I need two fans or am I good with just one as long as it works
vickivictory101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism1367 View Post
No it doesn't run at all with the car off. I would replace the relay if it is not coming on when your jeep overheats without the ac on.
Fans can be on when the car is off. Ask me how I know... ... I got a boo boo once.
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickivictory101 View Post
I have a 1999 jeep grand Cherokee and I only have one fan but car has been perfectly fine with just one do I need two fans or am I good with just one as long as it works
If you're not towing then you do not need the mechanical fan. Many people upgrade and put them on to work in conjunction with their electrical fan as a fail safe to the ongoing problem with the cooling fan relay and/or fan crapping out on the WJ's. I've been driving mine for five years with just the electrical fan with zero problems, temperature needle never even reaches the halfway point. There's a thread on here with Mopar part numbers if you're interested in doing the upgrade. It won't hurt you to have it on, it can only help (and give you a little more drag on your accessories, though).
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.