1999 WJ 4,7 V8 Stalling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1999 WJ 4,7 V8 Stalling

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
jeeptwins
2008 WK 

1999 WJ 4,7 V8 Stalling

Hi Everyone

I have a problem with my 1999 WJ 4.7 Stalling on me while driving.
It starts and runs fine for days as long as the engine compartment doesn't get too hot.
The Cam Shaft Sensor was replaced two years ago and the Crank Shaft Sensor one month ago. It did throw a code for the Cam sensor at the time.
This time no codes.
When it stalls I can not get it to restart until it has cooled off for an hour or so. I also notice when this happens that I get zapped on the door frame, also the voltage only shows 9 volts at the dash but reads over 12 volt at the battery. When it restarts after one hour or so it stalls again after a few miles as it gets hot again in the engine compartment.
If I let it cool right off again eg. next day, it runs good again for hours until under hood temprature gets too high again. The engine (coolant) never overheats. Seams like something shorts out and kills the ignition with it.
Any ideas????
Any help would be greatly appreciated as this gets on my nerves badly.
Thanks
Jeeptwins

jeeptwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Check door boot between door and body, look for broken wires (thick Black one=ground). Dont know if this is rekated to the stalling issue but its related to zapping on the door, can be related to each other, WJ's Are sencetive to bad/low voltage. Also clean and retight your battery terminals, helps out in 9/10 electrical issues.

Sent from my Iphone4
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
jeeptwins
2008 WK 

Thanks Thomahawk

I have checked both sides in the rubber boots for broken wires but haven't found any yet.
The battery was replaced 3 weeks ago and the terminals were cleaned and are tight.
Any thoughts on heat tripping some switch that will kill the engine and short something out?
9 volts is also not enough to run the fuel pump, correct?
What is that temperature sensor that some talk about? What will it do?
Located under battery?
Any further help is much appreciated
Thanks
jeeptwins is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.