1999 WJ 4.0 Problem - O2 sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1999 WJ 4.0 Problem - O2 sensor

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
scarrskey
1999 WJ 

Wj 1999 WJ 4.0 Problem - O2 sensor

About 6 months ago half the time I would start up my Jeep it would start to shake and have trouble getting out of first gear. After initially getting into second there would be no problems, they would only occur during startup. I decided to have my tranny checked out and flushed and there was no issues there. After a while the check engine light came on with codes P0152, P01611, and P0141 all pointing to o2 sensor problems. I had all of them replaced and the problem went away.

Now, 6 months later the problem seems to be coming back. Check engine light just came on with code P0141. I wanted to see if someone could provide some knowledge of what could be causing the trouble. Read in other forums that it could be the governor pressure sensor/solenoid. Any help would be great.

scarrskey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Kolak
Vendor

That code points to a heater malfunction in the bank 1, sensor 2 sensor. What brand of sensor is this? It may still be under warranty.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Some posts by 4.0 owners mentioned having O2 sensor problems due to a portion of the wiring harness that contacts a bolt at the rear of the engine which wears away insulation on the O2 sensor wires. I can't say exactly where to look, but it would probably be worth while to try checking that out to see if that could be your problem.
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
scarrskey
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the replies. I will try to find out exactly which sensors were replaced and what brand they were replaced with.

Does the shifting problem seem like it would be related to the sensors?
scarrskey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
nickblack
1999 WJ 

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of using ONLY Mopar sensors on the WJ. Not just 02 sensors, all sensors. For some reason this truck is very finicky when it comes to sensors and I have encountered numerous problems with after market sensors of all kinds. Of course Mopar are more expensive, but in the long run you will save money because eventually you will buy them anyway.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.