1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Heater not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Heater not working

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-29-2007, 02:22 AM   #1
debbie9339

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Heater not working

Jeep Grand Cherokee 1999 - my heater is not blowing any warm air at all. Can someone direct me to what might be wrong....it was working two weeks ago and just stopped sometime in the last few days.

Debbie

debbie9339 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
daveyboy43

If it's blowing cold air it's probably your blend doors.If it's not blowing out any
kind of air hot or cold,check your fuse first, but it could also be your blower motor,resistor or wiring connector at the resistor if there's no air at all.
daveyboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
debbie9339

Heate not working - Blend doors?

It's just blowing cold air and the defroster is not working. What are these blend doors and what is the cost to fix?

Debbie
debbie9339 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Not sure if this is your problem but this link will raise an eyebrow or two
http://www.wjjeeps.com/hvac_sub_assembly.htm

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

Is it a Limited with the dual zone climate control?

Check the codes: http://www.wjjeeps.com/climate.htm
JG_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
Tom Stewart

Just now I am having the same exact problem on a 99 GC...Thanks guys for the valuable info...shop wants 800-1100 to replace the ac controler and blend door....
I'll try to fix it myself.
TS
Tom Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
fordbeater

The typical fix is expensive because it requires removal of the entire dash and replacement of the plenum assembly which houses the blend and recirc doors. Broken blend and recirc doors are very common problems in JGCs. There is a DIY kit called heatertreater that provides instructions on how to access the blend and recirc doors by removing the glove box. I have had one for 3 years and it still works great! They are worth checking out if you think you have a broken blend door.
fordbeater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
LadyPinkWolf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hello to all. Just purchased a used Jeep today, yay! A problem though on the way home, noticed that I am having exactly this problem about the heater not blowing any warm or hot air. Pretty upsetting but I still love this Jeep....a 2000 Grand Cherokee Ltd, dual climate controls. After reading the post here, I went onto Ebay to look for that heatertreater and noticed three different listing there for it. One is for $25.00 and looks like a few little silver pieces and another is for $99 and looks like two doors and the third for $119 and looks like a door perhaps? (Links to all 3)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Grand-C...sories&vxp=mtr

Anybody have any idea on which one would fix the problem if doing it myself? Going to be a long and very cold winter! Any info would be appreciated as I was so thrilled to get the Jeep but this particular problem is pretty upsetting. Please get back to me as soon as you can and thanks!
LadyPinkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
hamilton5
2001 WJ 

hijacking dead threads ....

oh hay guys how do you work the search :rage:
hamilton5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
Renee1977
1999 WJ 

1999 jeep heater

Hi all!

My 1999 JGC is giving me problems; now it's the heater. I bought it used 2 years ago and found the controller knob on the dash which is supposed to change from defrost to panel to floor doesn't work - if I want defrost, I shut the motor off, change my selection, and fire it back up and that would USUALLY fix it. But now I'm faced with a deeper issue - I get very weak airflow through all ports (defrost, dash, and floor vents) and as a result my windshield keeps fogging up! Any ideas on what it could be?
Renee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Don't use Heater-Treater, it uses cheaper methods to put their parts together and the welds aren't as good.
Use the blendor store, www.blendorstore.com, or go to rockauto.com and buy their's or Chrysler's version.
Personally, I like the Blendor store, because they use aircraft grade aluminum, make the correct welds, provide the cut-out tool, and also provide the switch so that you can put the actuator in the right spot to install the door shafts. I think their blend doors will outlast my Jeep.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee1977 View Post
Hi all! My 1999 JGC is giving me problems; now it's the heater. I bought it used 2 years ago and found the controller knob on the dash which is supposed to change from defrost to panel to floor doesn't work - if I want defrost, I shut the motor off, change my selection, and fire it back up and that would USUALLY fix it. But now I'm faced with a deeper issue - I get very weak airflow through all ports (defrost, dash, and floor vents) and as a result my windshield keeps fogging up! Any ideas on what it could be?
Go to the classified section, on here, and find the WJ part-out guys (there's usually two or three). They might have the Heater control panel for fairly cheap and you can replace it for cheap. If not them, then find a junkyard that has some Jeep GC's, preferably WJ's and pull out a heater control panel. You might also have a broken blend door, but wait until you fix the directional flow problem before you tackle the hot/cold problem.

Unread 10-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie9339 View Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee 1999 - my heater is not blowing any warm air at all. Can someone direct me to what might be wrong....it was working two weeks ago and just stopped sometime in the last few days. Debbie
First thing to do, before you go out and buy the blend door, is to recalibrate the HVAC blend doors.
The procedure is:

Calibrating AZC door actuators

Calibrate the door actuators after making any repairs to the AZC system. To calibrate the door actuators proceed as follows:

1. Turn the ignition on.
2. Set the AZC to automatic.
3. Turn the ignition off.
4. Remove the IOD fuse from the Power Distribution Center. (The PDC is the long box, near your battery, with a lid the swings up. The IOD fuse is fuse 15) http://www.wjjeeps.com/misc/power_dist_ctr_02.jpg

Wait several seconds, and then install the IOD fuse.
5. Turn the ignition on. Do not touch any of the AZC controls for at least one minute to allow the calibration function to run to completion.

Every 20 key cycles the AZC head initiates a re-calibration routine which identifies pulse counts required to achieve full door travel. Also during this routine all modes and functions are validated as functional. When the self calibration routine is complete, the control head resets itself to its last settings.

The air conditioning compressor will engage in certain modes to cool and remove moisture from air entering the passenger compartment. The AZC control, when it is not set in the auto mode, always defaults to A/C enabled. The LED illuminates when the control requests A/C. The customer must toggle A/C off by depressing the button every time he turns to manual mode or the A/C is enabled. Additionally, when the vehicle is off for a "calibratable" amount of time, automatic A/C is again enabled and the customer must again force it off by depressing the button.

I have had the problem of my HVAC blowing hot air in the summer, three times in one month. I already have new blend doors.
This may save you money, if it is the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.