1999 Jeep Gran Cherokee Limited no start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1999 Jeep Gran Cherokee Limited no start

Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
JimSell

1999 Jeep Gran Cherokee Limited no start

I have a 1999 Jeep Gran Cherokee with a 4.7 engine which has been running perfectly. This morning I started it up no problem, the A/C was on and running because I had left it on. As I backed up a couple of feet the A/C suddenly stopped (fan stopped turning). I applied the brake and stopped. The engine was still running. Turned the engine off and tried to immediately restart it. Nothing. The engine would not turn over, click or do anything. Dead when I turn the key. The dash lights come on, the headlights shine, the power windows go up and down without laboring. I cleaned the battery terminals anyway. I opened the power center under the hood. No fuses blown. Somehow it seems important to me that the A/C stopped first. Thinking some type of fusable link popped. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

JimSell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #2
rep-tile
2004 WJ 

You need to do more than cleaning the battery terminals, you could have corrosion hidden in your battery cables underneath the insulation. Your battery is probably toast too (due to not properly charging or because it's too old). Don't overthink the AC issue. The computer will do all kinds of weird things under low voltage.
Unread Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #3
JimSell

I appreciate the thoughts. I have also cleaned the battery cable where it attaches to the battery post. I put a battery charger maintainer on the battery overnight and while it initally charged, it switched over to maintain so I'm thinking the battery is fine. Since I have a twin Jeep I pulled all the relays out of the power center from that and tried each one in the sick Jeep, all to no avail. I'm stumped here but will keep trying.
JimSell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 11:10 PM   #4
rep-tile
2004 WJ 

What I'm saying is you need to go further than cleaning the battery connectors (as I understand is what you did). These are my old battery connectors, and as you can see they were perfectly clean... on the outside, except a little rusty maybe. A marginal battery might appear to be charging properly and can be very tricky to diagnose. Once you take it off the charger and probe the terminals with a digital voltmeter and observe the voltage dropping very slowly, but keeps on dropping, you're battery's dead, it's not holding a charge.
dsc01516.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.