1999 Grand Cherokee problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1999 Grand Cherokee problem

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
yubkrock

1999 Grand Cherokee problem

I'm new to Jeeps and I've just purchased a 1999 Grand Cherokee and am having a slight issue with it. between 50-60 mph the steering wheel shakes rather intensely, the issue is not break related and i've already replaced the tie rods and the dampener. Is this a common problem or would anyone know how to fix it?
Thanks

yubkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
longboy
2006 WK 

Could be any number of things. Some things to check and fix:
-Wheel/tire balance
-Trackbar bushings
-Trackbar mounting brackets
-Wheel hub/bearings
-Tie rod ends (you said you replaced the tie rod, or the ends?). Make sure to check all 4 on the tie rod AND the drag link
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
yubkrock

how would you know if its the trackbar bushings/mounting brackets?
and yes i did replace the tie rod ends
yubkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
longboy
2006 WK 

The trackbar bushings, especially if original, could look very worn or cracked. The thing to look for in the brackets are to see if the bolt holes are ovaled, which would allow for a lot of movement.

Unfortunately, I don't believe anyone sells replacement trackbar bushings for the OE trackbar. You either buy another complete OE trackbar with new bushings, or an aftermarket trackbar/bushings for lifted Jeeps.

I'd personally start with the low-hanging fruit and see if the tires/wheels need to be rebalanced first off, then get into the other parts. Believe me, about 90% of WJ owners have had some sort of wobble on the front end at some point.
Unread 08-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
Howiedooit
1999 WJ 

I had the same prob, a good idea is to have someone wiggle you're steering wheel while you're under the front and check every bushing, rod end, and ball joint for any play. Mine ended up being poor balancing/alignment plus not having my track bar bolt super ****ing tight. the price you pay for a solid front diff I suppose.
Howiedooit is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.