1999 Grand Cherokee idle problem - odd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1999 Grand Cherokee idle problem - odd

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
AdvisingElf

1999 Grand Cherokee idle problem - odd

My brother-in-law bought my daughter a 1999 Grand Cherokee as a high school graduation present. It seems in great shape, but it has an odd idling issue.

When the gas tank is above half-full, it starts and idles fine. At about the half full mark you have to give it a little gas to start, and you have to keep giving it a little gas or it'll die.

I've heard that you can have problems with some cars if you don't fully crank the gas cap down, but this is just hearsay. Does the fuel pump pressurize the gas tank? It would have to work harder to pressurize a tank with more airspace in it. This is just a WAG. Anyone have any ideas?

AdvisingElf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
AdvisingElf

Is there anybody out there?
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

There may be a problem at the tank where the fuel pump draws in fuel. I had a similar problem years ago on a vintage car and it was a fuel pickup problem due to a rusty tank. It's unlikely that your tank is rusty (since its plastic) but it may have dirt and grit in there.

The fuel tank doesn't get pressurized by the pump, but there are vacuum/emissions components drawing vapors from the intake and fuel system. If your cap is defective, it can cause a check engine light but usually won't affect running. Regardless, the cap is like $10 and they do commonly fail. It can't hurt to replace it.

WAG = Wild-*** Guess?
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Fuel pump is dying and has a hard time when the tank is less than half full or the strainer is plugged up on the pump. Check your fuel pressure.
WiCkeDuDe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
warrenpeace24
1999 WJ 

If I remember right Jeep has a TSB on this I think it was a o-ring on the fuel pump that is easily damaged
warrenpeace24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
U2Fans
1999 WJ 

Make sure all of the vacuum lines are in place and tight... I had an idle problem on my '99 and it was due to a loose/disconnected vacuum line. It also was the culprit for my cruise control not working problem.
U2Fans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
AdvisingElf

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
WAG = Wild-*** Guess?
Correct.
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
AdvisingElf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiCkeDuDe View Post
Fuel pump is dying and has a hard time when the tank is less than half full or the strainer is plugged up on the pump. Check your fuel pressure.
Thanks.
Unread 09-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvisingElf View Post
My brother-in-law bought my daughter a 1999 Grand Cherokee as a high school graduation present. It seems in great shape, but it has an odd idling issue.

When the gas tank is above half-full, it starts and idles fine. At about the half full mark you have to give it a little gas to start, and you have to keep giving it a little gas or it'll die.

I've heard that you can have problems with some cars if you don't fully crank the gas cap down, but this is just hearsay. Does the fuel pump pressurize the gas tank? It would have to work harder to pressurize a tank with more airspace in it. This is just a WAG. Anyone have any ideas?
With fuel injected engines, "giving it a little gas" is actually giving it a little air. Pressing on the accelerator pedal open up the throttle so that more air goes into the engine, and the engine computer controls the injectors which put in the gas. Bottom line is that you have an air problem, not a gas problem as far as the idle is concerned. Most likely the Idle Air Control (IAC) needs cleaning or replacement. Next most likely would be a worn Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). The connection with the fuel level in the tank is only a coincidence.
Unread 09-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
AdvisingElf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2001wj View Post
With fuel injected engines, "giving it a little gas" is actually giving it a little air. Pressing on the accelerator pedal open up the throttle so that more air goes into the engine, and the engine computer controls the injectors which put in the gas. Bottom line is that you have an air problem, not a gas problem as far as the idle is concerned. Most likely the Idle Air Control (IAC) needs cleaning or replacement. Next most likely would be a worn Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). The connection with the fuel level in the tank is only a coincidence.
In searching for info on this problem the IAC and TPS came up. I will service those, but I doubt the fuel level thing is a coincidence. We've run it a while and it starts having trouble idling at about the half empty level, and it goes away as soon as you fill the tank. I actually hope you are right, because I don't want to have to pay to get the fuel pump replaced.
Unread 09-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

If there was a fuel pump problem, it have to show up under conditions other than when the engine is idling. Idling requires less fuel and less effort on the part of the fuel pump than anything else, except possibly rolling down hill with no pressure on the accelerator pedal.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
scottphxaz1
1999 WJ 

FYI: Today, my 99 jgc 4.0 would only start with my foot on the gas pedal, let off to idle and it would stall out. It ran perfect with my foot on the pedal. I opened the hood, wiggled the wires to the ECM, and it started and ran fine. fingers crossed
scottphxaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.