1999 4.0 wj 4 in Lift drive shaft and other questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1999 4.0 wj 4 in Lift drive shaft and other questions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Finch1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

1999 4.0 wj 4 in Lift drive shaft and other questions

Ok im looking for some very simple answers here.
I just picked up a very clean 1999 WJ with the 4.0l and select trac part time 4wd/Full time 4wd option. The jeep has over 230k miles. Im looking to do a 4 inch Rough Country Lift. Im on a budget.

1. The front driveshaft is the factory CV Style. I know this needs to go bye bye. IF i go to a local salvage yard what jeeps came with the style of front shafts and yokes i need to bolt on to convert it to u joint style shafts. i have the 4.0l. Factory dana 30?? Front and Dana 35 factory rear

2. Should i look at any bushings that donot come with the lift kit? If so what are common wear points on the wjs.

3. Max tire size? I have 17 in factory rubicon rims off a 2010 JK. I dont really care about flex its more of a DD then a offroad only i do plan on keeping the stock bumpers and really dont want to trim anything.

Any Help is appreciated i have found alot of mis matched opinions about stuff and i just want a simple this is what i need list thanks

Finch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Budget-4" no-no. Search good sir and you'll be informed.
MuddyWJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
mikeyc1821
2004 WJ 

yeah 4 inchs really cant be done on a "small" budget... depending on who you are and what a "small" budget is to you... i did the RC x flex 4 in, still needed a new steering stabilizer still needed upper control arms bushings... Plus a few trips to the alingment shop... all said and done with tires im about 2k in my set up...

best advice ever is to make sure that the front end is in perfect condition before you lift it
mikeyc1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Finch1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep has all new: Ball joints cvs wheel bearings tierods sway bar bushings brakes rear axle seals and bearings it has no drive line vibration and drives in a straight line
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Finch1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe i should have worded that better. I work in a small repair shop. We have our own alighnment machines and what not and i can rebuild used drive shafts (hence i can use junk yard parts). I see so many posts about get v8 ones but there to short and use zjs dont use ZJs i would rather some one thats already done the swap chime in.
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

I've done the swap! If you have an L6 a 95 or older v8 shaft will work. Warning though many yard shafts are bent due to the forks picking them up. If you have access to balancing tools and such then new tubing should be easily accessible.
MuddyWJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
007_SuperCoupe
2004 WJ 

Just did the driveshaft swap from a '94 V8 ZJ. Yard shaft ended up being bent. Make sure it's checked for trueness! Now that everything is buttoned up, it is good to go! Running 3.75-4.0" lift right now. OME HD with OME 10mm spacers.
007_SuperCoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Finch1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet. The yard i have near me picks the cars up by the doors and roofs 90% of the time lol no one knows why

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.